oil on plugs

I have a '79 fj40 with a 383 stroker, it won't start. I took out the plugs and the passenger side ones are covered in oil. I assume this means something is blown.... What has usually failed to cause this? Is
it usually just a top end rebuild to fix it? or bottom end as well?
Thanks.
TimG wrote:

Are all 4 passenger side ones covered in oil? I always figure if I am going to do the top end, I might as well get the full kit and do the bottom end as well. As to specifically what the cause is, it can be a number of things, but we need more info from you to answer it. When was the last time it ran? Was it exhibiting any signs of failure the last time it ran? Have you dumped the oil and looked for metal? I'm sure others will chime in with questions. But from what little you have given, it is difficult to narrow down the possible causes.
Big Chris
my guess is you have a case of bad rings change the plugs get it started and check your compression on all your cylinders if its low then theres your prob