Oil Pan Gasket

Can the pan gasket on a 99 Silvy 5.3L be replaced with out lifting/ pulling the engine?

azwiley1 wrote:

Yes on the 2wd but it ain't fun! The hard part is cleaning the pan rails from the underside so you don't get a leak. You can tilt the pan a bit and slip it just enough to either side to get to the engine rails.
The 4X4 is supposedly possible but I ain't gonna try it. On them it's my SOP to lift the engine as far as possible prior to even loosening the pan.
--
Steve W.

Yeah, mine is the 4x and damned if it don't look almost impossible.
azwiley1 wrote:

Lucky you! ;-)
Drop the front axle, Drain the oil and pull the filter. Then remove the bolts (don't miss the ones in the trans). Pull the cross brace. Don't miss the oil level sensor and battery cable clips. Watch the pan alignment VERY VERY CLOSE.
Have Fun.....
--
Steve W.

WooHoo!