OIL PUMP

Has anyone replaced an oil pump in an 89 k1500? I have heard that you have to be careful of the screen on the pump that it is not welded in and may fall out and wreck things. Any insight into doing this? The dealer wants $260 just for labor no parts included. seems high to drop an oil pan and put in a new pump.

Reply to
Jeff

"Jeff" wrote

I've replaced many small block chev oil pumps. The pickup tube just needs to be properly and carefully pressed into place. I've always found that it works best if you support the pickup tube in a vise, and then press the oil pump housing onto the pickup tube. Much less chance of deforming the tube and having it fall out later (which I've seen....usually causes the vehicle to have the oil light come on whenever you accelerate...very weird problem to figure out if you haven't run across it before).

The price depends on what the labor rate is. At our shop, that price would reflect about 2.6 hrs of labor. I'd say that's quite fair. If the labor rate of the dealer is 50 dollars an hour....then it might be a bit high.

Ian Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai