ok...a new problem........

my appreciation for all of your comments about my earlier thread of intake manifold and TBI.......however, after closer inspection:

there is no doubt i am leaking oil somewhere engine topside, but after an engine washing and a few miles of driving and 30 minutes idling, no real evident leak......so its is minor compared to : : :

a puddle of oil in the driveway (i useually back in, so front-in is a new position), underneath inspection reveals what looks like a leak from the flange where the housing that the oil filter connects to connects to the block. what is this thing?

i would assume my oil pump is accessed after removing the oil pan, from what chilton says. but my oil filter screws onto a thing that looks like an artificial heart, and this thing has several blind ports that are capped, and in positions that i have no idea how any hose or other line could connect to. the thing is connected to the block by 2 hex screw bolts,. allen wrenches. anyway, oil is leaking from where this thing connects to the block. so what gives?? it looks easy to replace this gasket, but its after 9pm and all auto parts shops are closed now.

any words are appreciated!

Surfgeotwo

if you were here in houston i'd buy you a quality beer - - thanks!!!

i love the internet

Reply to
Surfgeotwo

"Surfgeotwo"

I don't know what its called (Oil filter housing?), but those capped lines are for an oil cooler.... anyway... Take those two screws/bolts out, and take the "Housing" out. There are two gaskets for the "housing". One is a fiber/paper gasket that sits on top of it (round), and a rubber "O"-ring gasket that fits in a grove at the base of the "Housing". The parts department at the dealer may be the only people in the world who know what these are, so go there first.

Takes about 5 minuts to do.

HDS

Reply to
HDS