OK, so I look at a Suburban and...?

OK, I cannot afford a new Suburban...But the older ones are within price range, but I see them at 80K-150K and wonder "Will they last longer and how much longer and are they worth that?"
Owners, let me know. I'm really curious as to what to look for to know the difference form a pos to a gem.
Mine had 265,000 miles on it when it was badly damaged in an accident and retired. No engine work but did rebuild trans. All else was routine maintenance: water pump. power steering, A/C compressor, ball joints, tie rods. Stuff to be expected after 150,000 miles.
Gene wrote:

So, what ( I know this can vary widely) should/could I expect as an average yearly milage breakdown?
The reason I ask, is I am looking at one with 124,000 miles, but in 7 years? Of course, that probably means someone had the money for travel and such..I don't doubt it pulled a trailer though, but hopfully there's paperwork history with this vehicle.
Per Gene:

Google this group for a thread named: "Vortec 5.7: Premptive replacements?"
Here's the history on mine: ----------------------------------- > - Valve body: re-sleeved @75k) > - Crank sensor @75k > - Water pump: pre-emptive replacement @77k > - Intake manifold @77k > - Wiper board: complete replacement @89k > - Serpentine belt: pre-emptive replacement @98k > - Several alternators: last one @98k. Next one @150? -----------------------------------
--
PeteCresswell

Per Robert Ball:

4L60?
Do you recall what the milage was whe rebuild time came around?
I'm at 120k and figure the thing just *can't* last to my target of 250,000 so I'm considering a premptive rebuild.
--
PeteCresswell

"Robert Ball" wrote: > Mine had 265,000 miles on it when it was badly damaged in an > accident > and retired. No engine work but did rebuild trans. All else > was > routine maintenance: water pump. power steering, A/C > compressor, ball > joints, tie rods. Stuff to be expected after 150,000 miles. > > Gene wrote: > > > OK, I cannot afford a new Suburban...But the older ones are > within > >price range, but I see them at 80K-150K and wonder "Will they > last > >longer and how much longer and are they worth that?" > > > > Owners, let me know. I'm really curious as to what to look > for to > >know the difference form a pos to a gem. > > > >
I would get a used on from the 92 to 99 body style as they seem to be sturdier and proven too. As far as durabilty. There is no schedule on when things were out as it can vary with maintaince. My 89 4x4 burb with 172 k on it has been pretty good. I replace the water pump around 130K and rear alt bearing around 120K and the compressor was replaced at 35K because of a factory defect and noting else under hood has been replaced and nothing in suspesion or steering either and it is still tight. Look for a used burb that has been well maintianed and that has never had big rubber on it (which can be tuff on front end parts and trannies) and that they never did any serious towing with. If it meet s the above guide lines it should make 200K or more with little effort with go maintaince.

Well, thanks to everyone who replied...I'm certian a Suburban is the vehicle I need...Now, Just have to get myself ready for 3-5 years of payments...Again....
Where in the world are you at? I have a VERY clean 98 4 sale for $9450. Larry

HAHA he would be dumb to buy that for $9450, it better have under 100k on it

It does and he wouldn't be dumb. Larry

Well, do you do financing?
Just kidding, I'm on the west coast...Near Portland, OR :)
Sorry no...and I can't deliver. frankly I'm suprised it's not sold yet. It's really a wonderful truck. I love driving it but it's WAY more truck than I need, and barely fits in the garage which of course makes even mino maint. like an oil change a PIA. If it was a Tahoe it's be a harder choice especially if it had 3 seats like a 'burb. Larry