? on mechanic's charge.

Page 1 of 2
Why should a mechanic charge you $40 to diagnose a problem when you told them exactly what was wrong, and they simply verify that you were right seems silly to me.

What if yer wrong? What if there is more wrong?
Adair

1) Because if -your- diagnosis was wrong and he performed the repair and it was unsuccessful, you'd be bitching up a storm and demanding a refund.
2) Because it's -his- shop and -he- gets to call the shots.
3) Because only a fool takes someone else's word for something.
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 07:56:52 -0500, "Corey Scheich"

I'd guess that would depend on the problem... if you told him that the wheel fell off and you had it in your hand, all he'd have to diagnose was why and what other damage..
Most other things, unless you were also a mechanic and had all the skill and tools he did, he would have to at least confirm your diagnoses..
Kind of like the old days when someone would bring a truck in with a stumble or rough idle and we'd tell them that it needed a tune up so we'd have a starting point.. lots of bitching about that, too...
Mac

I got charged $80 ($69 + tax). Same story only I wanted confirmation on the EGR valve before I replaced it. He had no idea and would replace the EGR valve on my dime. If it didn't work we would go on from there but I'd have to buy the EGR valve. Whined about there being no codes.
Went to another shop... the guy looked, took out the plugged up CAT, and I was on my way. Twenty minutes max. $50.
--
Dave

. . ======= =======
Why should a mechanic charge you $40 to diagnose a problem when you told them exactly what was wrong, and they simply verify that you were right seems silly to me. ======== ======== snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (SoundsLikeAPorsche) wrote in message:
I got charged $80 ($69 + tax).
Same story only I wanted confirmation on the EGR valve before I replaced it. He had no idea and would replace the EGR valve on my dime. If it didn't work we would go on from there but I'd have to buy the EGR valve. Whined about there being no codes.
Went to another shop... the guy looked, took out the plugged up CAT, and I was on my way. Twenty minutes max. $50.
--
Dave
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Dave, The first guy can't help it if the second guy didn't charge you enough!
Jabs

the
have
Sounds Like A Porsche wrote:

What do you have that sounds like a porsche? ..A corvair?

<snip>
No a motorcycle. I've left the sig intact this time.
--
Dave
'75 Honda CB750 K5... (beautiful)
Why should a mechanic charge you $40 to diagnose a problem when you told them exactly what was wrong, and they simply verify that you were right seems silly to me.
========== ========== WELL ...if that jest ain't a rip off.
MAN....i'm gett'n sick and tired of hearing about all these damn dishonest mechanics around.
BOY....these stories really set me off.
HELL.....i'd like to give that guy a piece of my............................
ughhhhh......... gurgle,gurgle......... oooooohhh........
I"M HAVING A HEART ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
~:~ MarshMonster ~appies the shocker......bap..bap...... there yee go little feller....... shock...$50.00 diagnosis....no charge
hmmmm....you still having it???? here take a rolaid, that'll fix yuh.... and next time when you say you're having a heart attack....we won't put you through all that misery, we'll jest tell yer arse right up front that we don't think you know what-the-h*ll yer talk'n about cuz yer cheap arse would'a self medicated if you wuz shore of yer own diagnosis....
or better yet..... next time..... jest chomp down on an electrical cord... and if that don't fix you up...then come in~ ============= =============
Corey Scheich wrote:

The laborer is worthy of his hire.                                 Remo

Sign in a mechanics shop:
Labor Rate: $60.00/Hour If Customer Watches: $80.00/Hour If Customer Helps: $100.00/Hour
Mark

And if customer tried to fix it first, $200.00/Hour.
And let's not forget, "if customer supplies own parts, labour rate x 2"
Brett Anderson
I always found the dumbest thing I could do is tell them what I thought is wrong. They always 'fixed' that, it changed nothing, and I still had the symptom. If ever I go back to a mechanic, I play on just sayin' "it's busted".
Gremlin

GMC Gremlin wrote:

Good, you've learned your lesson. Most mechanics and shops do not like it when a customer comes in and tells them what to do and what parts to install. It often gives us a good chuckle though, when you do exactly what they want, charge them for it, and as you mentioned, it fixes nothing.
Best thing to do is to give a good description of the symptoms, and ask them to diagnose the problem and provide an estimate before they fix anything.
Ian
Re: " Best thing to do is to give a good description of the symptoms, and ask them to diagnose the problem and provide an estimate before they fix anything. Ian" $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
I've learned that the hard way also Ian.But I would add that the estimate must be to fix the problem not"well we think it's the cat.converter and the estimate is..to replace it." If you've got an oil leak you've GOT to get an estimate to fix the leak.Then if they return your vehicle still leaking you can insist that they do the job right.But if they mis-diagnose and give you an estimate to replace the front cover and you pay this but the leak is actually from the valve cover or whatever,you're stuck paying for unnecessary work. Just my 2 coins......Brian O
There are three kinds of lies: lies,damned lies,and statistics. -Disraeli
And most shops like rip ppl off too.

And most ppl cn spk inglsh too. Unlike you.
When you can afford a computer, come back and say hi.
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 00:01:37 -0400, "Brett Anderson"

aww.. give the kid a break, Brett.. he probably worked his butt off, stacking phone books high enough to let him use his mom's computer..
Mac
I ain't no kid im 60 yrs old you jerks!!! I've got 2 4x4s and 85 3/4 ton 4x4 148xxx mi. on it motor never been apart runs great. Also a 88K5 Blazer with new motor & trnny in it.