One More Reason For Manual 4wd Engagement

Lost the starter on the beach Saturday.

Good Samaritan gave me a rope tow to the blacktop.

Today, the tow truck came, hooked it up, and started dragging it the mile or two to a repair shop. Front wheels off the road, trannie in neutral.

About two hundred yards into the trip, the tow truck starts bucking like an amusement park ride.

Oops.... Forgot to disengage that 4wd.....

Got the new starter in there, but it was a looooong drive home listening to the noise the drive train (diff? Locker?) was making as the result of that cruel and unusual punishment.

Something in there is obviously toast. I just hope it isn't too expensive.

But the whole thing made me think: driver stupidity aside, what if one loses an alternator on the beach - instead of a starter - and the battery gets sucked dry?

Even if one thinks to disengage the 4wd, it seems like that's not gonna happen with a dead electrical system and an automatic 4wd engagement/disengagement system.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Augustus

Per Augustus:

Yup... that's about it... Except in my case it 10 seconds max.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Easy, Just disconnect the actuator for the front axle. OR do what used to be a common thing for tow operators and drop the rear drive shaft. Or just hook up a good battery long enough to push the button.

Reply to
Steve W.