Online shop manual for S-10?

Hi

Do you have a nice link to an online repair guide for S-10's or sites with good articles and guides.

My pressent problem is that the 2 wheel / 4 wheel drive buttons is extinguised and there is no reaction from the transfer box when i push the buttons...

Best regards /zigge

Reply to
Zigge

Shep

Zigge, go to

and click on repair guides. Then go through and put in the info for the vehicle. It may, or may not have your vehicles repair manual in the system. If it doesn't then I would just buy a Hayne's manual from a parts store near you. They have electrical diagrams in the back.

Check to see if you are getting power to the switch. Make sure you dont have a burned out fuse or relay. If that checks out, and you have power, then it sounds to me like a bad switch. Take a DVM and check resistance across the switch. It should be NO MORE than .2 Ohms. Good luck, I never did like them push button 4x4's.. I would install manual locking hubs.

Reply to
pkurtz2

Reply to
Shep

Shep, Yep I know that one. Just wondering what year the OP's S-series is. I have a few factory books on them, might have it right here. Some of them can be tested with a paperclip and a test light.

Reply to
Steve W.

Have any Extras for the years 1989 & 1991? Charles

Reply to
Charles Bendig

Its the paperclip-type S10 ;-) I belive it is a 92 model.

Best regards /zigge

Reply to
Zigge

So what it wrong other than you hit the switch and nothing happens? Pull the switch and verify that you have power to it? If you get no green or amber light when moving the switch it sounds like a power problem. I have a book that covers it. What have you done so far.

Reply to
Steve W.

Today I pulled the switch box out and took it apart, cleaned the contact surfaces and made a control that it was working good.

Now I tried to engage the 4wd (hi) with the motor running and gear in "N" = lights in 4wd(hi) and 4wd(low) blinked some times and went back to 2wd.

Now I tried to engage the 4wd(low) and the transfer-box made a promising sound and engaged in 4wd(low) light on in 4wd(low) and 4wd traction (all wheel's skidding in "D")

Now tried all sorts of freak moves and combinations with the gear, but no matter what, it is only possible to switch between 2wd and 4wd(low). Pressing 4wd(hi) only gets the two 4wd lights blinking and returning to

2wd - no sound from the transferbox.

Today and the past week the temperature has been 2 to 10 Celsius below freezing. Is it possible that the transfer gear is frozen solid?

I have to say that the mechanics in Denmark has just as poor and limited knowhow when it comes to US cars as I have :) So maybe it all comes down to some missing maintenence.

Best regards

/zigge

PS. I found out via AutoZone that the car is from 1994.(6-cyl, automatic trans)

Reply to
Zigge

zigge

Sounds like the transfer case actuator motor has a problem. To check and see if it will give you any codes you need to GROUND pin J on the Data Link Connector (that is the assembly line data link connection under the dash near your knee) Same connector that you would use to connect a scanner to. If you look at that connector you will see 12 pins. Pin J is in the bottom row and is the 3rd pin from the left side. ( G H I J K L ) Ground is pin A which is on the TOP row and the last pin to the right ( F E D C B A ) Now turn the key ON (don't try to start the engine) Wait thee seconds and watch the lights in the switch. If it has a code stored it will flash the light to tell you the code. There are 4 codes possible. To read the code just count the flashes. Code 3 would be Flash Flash Flash Pause Flash Flash Flash ........... It will continue flashing the code until you shut off the key or pull the jumper.

Oh and just for info. You do not have to use neutral to shift the transfer case. It is designed to shift on the fly from 2Hi into 4Hi and back. You DO have to stop and shift into neutral to shift into and out of 4Low though.

If you plan on keeping this truck AND want to be able to work on it yourself I would suggest a factory manual for it. I just looked at

and they are showing them as temp. unavailable. Send me a mail at csr684 at yahoo dot com and I'll look up whatever you need until you get if repaired or push it off a cliff...

Steve W.

promising

automatic

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks a million... I might just take you up on that offer :-)

Best regards /zigge

Reply to
Zigge

Reply to
David Johnson

Charles, Got rid of the 91 book when I sold a 91 to a guy who was heading toward Mexico with it. Figured he might just need it since the only Spanish he knew was cervasa and taco !!!!

Dave, Don't have a spare but the 83 is covered in one of my big OLD Motor manuals. Most of that truck is so simple it's like working on a

70's rig.
Reply to
Steve W.