Operating temperature

Page 2 of 2
Mark wrote:

2003 Suzuki SV650s
The coolant in a vehicles radiator can run hotter than 212f ( boiling point ) due to the system being pressurized and the boiling point of the coolant is higher under pressure. A vehicle's cooling system is typically in the range of 11 to 15 lbs of pressure in it, determined by the radiator cap, which would allow a vehicle to run much warmer than 212f before the coolant boils.

We run a 25lb cap on the race car and have gotten to about 235 degrees without puking out coolant. I don't like to see it that hot but stuff happens.....

Al wrote:

operating range as quickly as possible. This reduces wear, improves efficiency, and reduces pollutants. The latter was a primary driving force in increasing engien operating temperaturesd. As an aside, it also gets the water hot for the heater/defroster. I don';t know what the boiling point the new delco coolants are, I suspect at least as high as ethelyne glycol/water mix. A 50/50 mix has a boiling point around 225-230 F at sea level. Each pound of pressure on the system adds about 1 degree F to the boiling point so the boiling point of a system with a 15 lb cap at sea level running half ethelyne glycol at sea level is in the neighborhood of 245 to 250 degrees. The transfer of heat from the coolant to the air in the radiator increases with increased temperature differential so the radiator size can also be reduced.