Opinions on the Blazer ZR2?

I'd be curious to hear any opinions on the Blazer ZR2. I'd be using it as my primary vehicle, plus some limited off-roading (probably the beach). Interested in it's reliability, durability, etc. Thanks!

--- Jay

Reply to
Jay Masino

I traded my 94 Jimmy 4x4 in on a 2000 S-10 ZR2. I don't miss the old truck one bit. I think the pickup even rides better than the SUV ever did, but some say that's a wheelbase thing. Only thing I can say about the reliability is that the old truck left me stranded 3 times, once if you don't count accidents. There was ONE mechanical failure that wasn't accident-caused that prompted me to call a tow truck, and that was 5 months before I traded it in, the fuel pump died at 110,000 miles. Yeah, it had some expensive repairs, but what would you expect out of a 10 year old vehicle pushing 115,000 miles? Had the original tranny and engine in it.

Material quality for the >I'd be curious to hear any opinions on the Blazer ZR2. I'd be using it

Reply to
Mike Levy

I bought an '00 Blazer new, in the winter of '99.

The truck was really awesome for a while, but I can't say that I was perfectly happy with it. It seemed to be plagued with problems since new.

At 1500 miles on the clock I checked the oil level before a trip, and found it to be filled with TWICE the amount of oil it needed. Not a quart or two high, but two drain pans full. Called dealer and complained. They said if there was no noise or problems now, it'll be fine.

Things WERE fine for a while.

At about 50K on the clock, I had a BDS 5" lift put in. I had a custom front driveshaft built, which vibrated like hell. That, and an exhaust mod that was needed, kept cracking at the weld closest to the manifold. -- if you're looking to lift it, I'd really prepare for a few headaches like this.

Shortly after, the tranny started to bomb out. It would go to shift to 3rd, and hit a neutral. It was throwing shift solenoid codes, and I had the 2-3 solenoid replaced. It drove AWESOME for a while, then weeks later started to crap out again. It was only in hot weather, and when not moving fast. I got through a winter with no issues.

Around 75K the sending unit went out. Around the same time, the engine starting acting VERY sluggish on the highway. It had to have half pedal and a downshift to get up hills over 65mph. (this is with stock sized tires on stock rims)

Around 90K I started it up one very cold morning up North, and I got a HORRIBLE knock out of the engine - like a manifold cracked right off or a rod was about to let go. It went away after a about 15 seconds, but I never trusted it after that.

Throughout it's whole life, the rear plastic panels in the interior vibrated. I went though the interior with RTV sealer and basically glued all of the panels together to shut them up.

I never beat on the truck or hammered it offroad. I always ran Mobil 1, and changed it every 4K. I think I was just unlucky.

Other than that, I really liked the truck. It drove real well, pulled well for what it's got, did mild offroading well.

If it came with a v8, I'd consider getting one again. I'm on a horsepower kick right now.

-marc

Reply to
Marc Westerlind

I personally didn't like mine. While I didn't have a ZR2, I had the fully loaded 4 door model (2002). I didn't care for it. Enough, in fact, to take a hit on it and traded it in on a '99 Yukon.

Here are things I didn't care for:

- Small fuel tank (I think that the 2 door is smaller yet) I only experienced a range of about 250 miles per tank with it

- For size of vehicle, lousy fuel mileage

- Same prob. as marc, plastic squeaks from back since day one.

- Quite small inside. It felt like my previous Honda civic had more room

I will say that it never gave me any mech. troubles. Always started even in -38C.

Reply to
Chevguy