OT: 2 cycle golf cart problems

Anyone good at 2 cycle engines?
I got a free 80-88 EZGO gas golf cart. It is a 2 cycle engine, single cylinder. He said it ran when he last used it but that was several years ago.
I put new fuel in it, mixed the oil. Put a new fuel filter in and cleaned out the air cleaner. The carb looks new while the rest of it looks old and dirty as hell. Must have put a new carb on it at one point.
I had to get it fired up with starting fluid then the gas flowed through the filter. It runs but slowly and no power. Not enough rpms to kick in the belt to drive the axle.
I put in some 80w oil in the cylinder and let it set for a bit but not very long. I was told this would help with compression. I put in a new plug after that and it does the same thing.
Any ideas?
Lannie
Might check exhaust for blockage. Bee's like to nest in there.
--
remove one of the @'s unless you are a spammer.
"LS" < snipped-for-privacy@mchsi.com> wrote in message
Sounds like crankshaft seals are leaking, common on those.