OT: Grease/Lube that resists oil?

I've got a very small assembly with two gears in it and shaft/roller bearing to the outside world on one end.
The other end is attached to a gear box full of oil.
Oil tents to get into the little assembly and weep out through the shaft/roller bearing.
Didn't used to do that before I put too much oil in the gearbox. Word I got was that the excess oil dissolved the grease that was packed into the assembly. No way of finding out what the original grease was.
Now I've got the thing apart and am ready to repack it. Tried pouring some of the oil on some silicone stuff from NAPA and it seemed to dissolve it all too easily.
My understanding is that most greases are just oil mixed with some sort of goop to give it body. Given that, it seems like oil should dissolve most greases.
Anybody know of an exception? Some that are slower to dissolve than others?
--
PeteCresswell

I have no idea how to keep grease from breaking down under oil, but it's my understanding that grease is very heavy oil, just as diesel is light oil... something to do with "cracking" at the refinery and levels of oil, from gasoline to heavy lube??

Mac

I'm not sure what type of assembly he is working on, but I would venture to say that it probably was originally designed with a seal to separate the two sections to prevent the oil and grease mixing. I would try that approach first and see if there is a seal available.
Rita

bearing to

shaft/roller
I think you have a part missing. There should be a seal between the oil and grease or "the outside world". If you post back more information about the item somebody may have more information. Anyway pure Lithium Grease is synthetic and will not mix with oil. It does melt (sort of) but give it a look at... Post back with a description of what you are working on. This group is frequented by professional mechanics and private mechanics that may know the answer to your problem.
good luck, mark