OT: JOhn Deere 68 again

I put a new plug in it last week and I have mowed 4 times so far. Tonight it ran out of gas. Put new gas in and now it is chugging again. Pulled the plug and it is black.

How do I stop it from fowling so quickly? Put in heavier weight oil? Do they make an anti fouler like they do for the 350 and such?

Lannie

Reply to
LS

Probably running the top-end screw out to far.

Reply to
Shades

If it's not burning oil, I agree with Shades.

RJ in WV

Reply to
RJ in WV

I'm a complete newbie to small engines. When you say high end screw, the one that adjusts what I think is the governor? Allowing it to rev too high?

I don't see any idle screws and etc like I do on my push mower and etc.

Reply to
LS

maybe there was gunk in the bottom of the tank from last year? just a guess, but it seems strange that it would run fine until it ran out of gas and then have problems again....

Mac

Reply to
mac davis

Nope! There is a screw on the bottom of the carb in the middle of the fuel bowl. That screw adjusts how much gas goes into the engine at full throttle. turn it to the right and it leans it out, and turn it left to richen. Warm the engine up to full operating temp BEFORE doing ANY adjustments on the carb!

| |

Reply to
Shades

Its hard on ANY engine to run 'em out of gas... I just put a 10HP Briggs on my JD 68 and am now trying to figure out how to put a bigger gas tank on. I am also trying to rig up a forced air cooling setup to cure the overheating problem that the 68s suffer from.

| > >I put a new plug in it last week and I have mowed 4 times so far. | Tonight | > >it ran out of gas. Put new gas in and now it is chugging again. Pulled | the | > >plug and it is black. | > >

| > >How do I stop it from fowling so quickly? Put in heavier weight oil? Do | they | > >make an anti fouler like they do for the 350 and such? | > >

| > >Lannie | > >

| > maybe there was gunk in the bottom of the tank from last year? | > just a guess, but it seems strange that it would run fine until it ran | > out of gas and then have problems again.... | >

| > Mac | |

Reply to
Shades

I adjusted the screw on the bottom of the bowl. It runs a LOTbetter. Found the 30" blade was bent badly. New one is so smooth! :)

Push mower fouled theplug after it ran out of gas. Only mowed twice with that plug. It's always a black power on the plug. Two mowers doing the same thing. Must be the gas. Inever use Casey's gas in my cars but did for the mowers. I will try another brand of fuel.

Briggs on my JD 68 and am now trying to

forced air cooling setup to cure the

Reply to
LS

NEVER USE CASEY'S GAS TO EVEN START A FIRE!!!

| |

Reply to
Shades

I filled my truck with it this week and it runs like dog crap. I usually always get it from Git n Go or Texaco.

Reply to
LS

I just used the last gallon to put out a fire. Is that OK? It flamed up a little, but mostly sizzled with some steam from the water then died out. :)

Reply to
LS

;-)

| |

Reply to
Shades

Is this the same mower???!! It uses half the gas it did before. New blade, runs so smooth. Cuts and spreads the grass so much better. I might even begin to like this thing....

Reply to
LS

Small engine maintenance is not taught anymore. I used to work for a lawn service company who would make every lawn-mower remove and dismantle, completely, the carburetor and gas tank from his mower, clean it out, and reassemble it. You were given the manual and three hours. They figured if you weren't smart enough to get it on and running by then they could find someone else. The owner had a heart attack and dropped dead and the kids decded this went against modern management principles. Plenty of workers who "weren't mechanics" could mow lawns fine, and would work cheaper, so T.J. and Wilbur-two old hardasses we had working there for years-were replaced by Juan, Hector and Pedro who proceeded to put them out of business promptly.

There is no feedback system and oxygen sensor-they are gravity bowl carburetors wholly dependent on the specific gravity of the fuel, and air absolute pressure, temperature, and humidity. Setting proper fuel mixture is something needing to be done every time there is a drastic change in any of the above on a B&S or Tecumseh. Never seen a Honda close enough to know.

Hint: Learn to read spark plugs. Get the Champion magnifier and the catalog.

Second hint: Small engines are built cheap, cheap, cheap. Automobile gas has changed and fuel system materials haven't. Unless you can find better seals, gaskets, et al aftermarket, the stuff in car gas for EPA will attack these. If you can find 80/87 avgas locally, it's worth the extra buck a gallon.

Reply to
Ted Azito