OT Question

Can't seem to find a good place to ask this, so I'll presume on the vast knowledge here...
I am building a go kart as a winter project with my 14 year old son.
I'm thinking about manual rack and pinion, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a year / model of vehicle that would have a *narrow* manual rack assembly I could go looking for at a scrap yard that might work. FWIW, the cart will not be sprung.
TIA
Is $94 too much? A junk yard rack may be as much. <http://www.desertkarts.com/item80857.ctlg
Cheers

Martin Riddle wrote:

Thanks, I've seen that. Problem is, by the time I pay shipping to Canada, factor in the exchange rate, and usurious UPS brokerage fees, the price at least doubles, and I haven't yet been able to find a dealer close to home with a similar product. That's why I'm thinking a scrap yard might be a better bet.
Commentator wrote:

Another question if I can....
All the cart plans seem to use this type of bearing for a rear live axle:
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/AZ1861B.html?id=oImwkXiD
Any reason not to use a pillow block instead?
Engine will be 6.5 HP through a TAV2 torque convertor if that makes a difference........
Commentator wrote:

On the rack, look at many of the small imports for a manual rack that you could cut down. Most of them have extra housing for mounting.
The reason against pillow blocks it that they are not really rated to carry the axial loads a cart could put on the iron. The sandwiched plate design offers a fail safe IF the bearings came apart. The axle would still be captured.
--
Steve W.