OT-Special edition vehicles

I'm trying to get a list together of the special edition vehicles named after the engineer who designed the SE, like the Shelby Mustang or the Cogsworth Vega. I know there is a Corvette named after one, but can't remember his name. What others are there? Thanks.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

The Vega was not named for the engineer. It was a Cosworth headed engine in it. 122 Ci. with 4 valves per cylinder. Neat engine and WAY ahead of it's time.

The 'Vette your thinking of could be Lingenfelter or Callaway

If your looking for names and limited runs are you including McLaren, Saleen, Foose, Enzo and the like who designed and built cars as well.

How about Hurst, Penske, Yenco

Reply to
Steve W.

Just a correction- that should be Cosworth

Reply to
RetiredFF

Another few to add:

Hory Chevrolet in Larchmont, NY, Baldwin Chevrolet/Motion Performance in Baldwin, NY and another Chevy dealer in upstate NY. I can't remember the name.

RK

Reply to
Refinish King

Duckworth was one of the engineers associated with that:

I forgot where the Cos part of the name came from, but awesome running Vega engines. I've had the pleasure of driving many.

Reply to
Refinish King

I had a 75 1/2 but got stupid and sold it. They were a nice vehicle in the Black&Gold. Handled well and had a few industry firsts. First DOHC of domestic production, first use of EFI by GM. They also had stainless exhausts. I wouldn't mind finding an optioned out 76 for a good price but there were only about 3500 produced for 75/76 so they are a bit hard to find.

Reply to
Steve W.

In the area of Pa where I live:

You get to see one every once in a while, it always brings a smile to my face.

There's a 73 Vega GT locally, you see it in the summer a few times every summer. The reason it isn't dust yet, is because it had the Ziebart process done on it, the guy opened the hood and showed me the plugs on the fenders.

Nice car, with A/C and all.

Reply to
Refinish King

Between my uncle, cousins, Father and myself I think we had at least 7 Vegas and 4 Monzas. I still have a 78 Starfire GT in the family. Most of them were that burnt copper color or the robins egg blue. Kind of a mix of transmissions, from the 72/73s with the powerglide and the manuals with the Opel 4 speed, Saginaw 4 speeds and I think Neil had one with a 5 speed in it. It's a shame they rotted so quick. They were a good looking car really. Not real cramped inside and they could take a beating. I always remember going to the lumber yard with my old man and getting 14 bags of concrete and loading it into the back of the hatchback we had. Made that little 4 banger work. I still have a couple of the 140s and I think I have most of a 122 Cosworth in storage. The last GT I had rotted out right where the front subframe connected at the footbox area of the pan.

I have seen a 74 notchback in Utica a couple times.

Reply to
Steve W.

I'd love to have my GT back!

It took a beating from hen I got into it, till I got out of it.

I'd love to have my 67 Firebird and 68 Camaro back too, but just wishful thinking.

Take care Steve.

Reply to
Refinish King

I worked a lot of overtime in 1973 and went to a local Chevy dealer and bought a yellow w/black race stripes and a black interior Vega GT. It had the bigger engine and a 4-speed, with bucket seats, a/c, am/fm, all the options. It was really fun to drive. As I recall, I put about 26,000 miles on it and traded it for an El Camino. I'd like to have that one back too.

Karl

Reply to
Silverado

Cars I've owned and miss:

'68 Road Runner 383/727 '53 F-100 302/C4 '54 Chevy 1/2t. 235/4sp '68 Mustang 390/4sp '63 VW tunnel rail and even the '73 Gremlin 258/3sp

Doesn't help that I work here:

Old Crow '82 FLTC(P) '95 Wrangler YJ BS#132, TOMKAT, SENS, SLOB#13

Reply to
Old Crow

The GTO?

Oh, wait - that was the DeLorean.

Nevermind.

Reply to
PerfectReign

I know the feeling.

57 Chev 283/3spd/4bbl 58 Chev Conv/283/auto 64 Chev Hrdtp 283/auto/4bbl 68 GTX 440/727, 323 gears...My highway car. 70 SuperBee 440 6pak/4spd, changed to High rise edlebrok(sp)/Holly 780/Hooker/Excel/hemi clutch/4spd. MMMmmmnnn GOOD!

Oh how I miss them now!

danl

Reply to
Dan