Over Sized Tires?

Hi, I'm looking for anyone with experience on putting "over sized" tires on an 2004 2500 HD. I recently pick this truck up and of course it comes from the dealer with the totally lame Chevy 245 - 16's with the passenger car tire tread (who knows what the heck Chevy is thinking). These tires look like stupid since the truck is so large and they are so small, not to mention the stupid tread on them.

Anyway I would really like to put some 32 - 33's (or at least 285's) on the truck. I went to my local tire dealer and thought it was going to be as easy as paying for them. He said "No can do". He claims the only stock factory truck that can take 33's is a Dodge Ram. He said the clearence in height wasn't a problem but that the width was a major issue. He claims that the stock alloy wheels from Chevy are only 6.5" wide and that if I try and go to 7 or 8" wide that the tires will rub without cutting stuff. Is this true?

He also claims that the torsion bar would have to be changed in a major way?

Any personal experience would be appreciated. Any web sites with info on this would also be helpful.

I would really like to put BF Goodrich KOs on this truck but he claims they don't offer 33's in a 16" wheel either. True? Why on earth not? They offer 33's in a 15" wheel because I've seen them.

Thanks,

Reply to
Rocketman

Yes, they will rub. My buddy has a 2500HD and he had some over sized tires on it. They were louder then the stock tires, and if you tries to turn into a parking stall they made a horrific sound. It will also throw off your speedo a little. as well as slow down your acceleration.

As for the torsion bar, I think what he is saying is you will have to tighten it up so you don't bottom out and send the tire though the fender well.

Reply to
Trey

I have 295's on my 2500HD and they rub. I purchased new rim and tires. I had to cut the front air dam on both sides of the truck and the inner fender plastic on the drivers side only and they still rub when I turn sharp. Is your truck a 4x4? Mine is so I went and I purchased a leveling kit from somebody... I can't think of there name right now. What it is is replacement keys for the torsion bars. They rekey the torsion keys so they raise the front of the truck to make it level with the back. And they still rub. I'm going to have to buy a lift kit to stop them from rubbing. Any way if I had to do it over again.....I do the same thing cuz big tire on a nice truck look bad ass.

And the gas mileage went down about one mile per gal..

Reply to
me

Thanks to both of you for the comments. Yes my truck is a 4x4. I live in Vermont in snow and mud country so 4x4 is a must. You know I like GM but I'm really getting sick of the idiot engineers who don't pay attention to stuff like this. What a pain in the butt. In terms of height there is plenty of room. Why the heck didn't they leave enough room width wise. I am not worried about the acceleration or gas milage. I use my truck as a truck. I use it for towing mostly. I have a car I drive normally and that gets good gas mileage. My truck has the 8.1L V8 w/ Allison tranny and 4.10 gears. Big tires or no big tires this thing will take off and isn't going to get great gas mileage. I really wanted the bigger tires becuase the stupid 245's and even 265's look tiny on this big truck. What was Chevy thinking? Stupid and aggravating. Lifting my truck isn't going to be an option since I tow a 5th wheel with it.

Anyway thanks for letting me know.

I was very, very close to going Dodge on this truck to give them a try. If they had a better tranny and tow capacity I think I would have.

me wrote:

tires. I had

sharp. Is

thinking).

285's) on
Reply to
Rocketman

Don't look at the new Ford F-150 for use with different tires. The new "outboard" shock location leaves NO extra room. Saw one the other day and with the stock rubber on it you cannot get your hand between the tire and the shock body. And the front end has the sway bar links close enough that anything wider than stock will get torn up quick.

Reply to
Steve W.

I also have a 2500 HD 04` I agree that the tires look to small.They have a big load range.Are you pulling something big?I have taken mine off road,and in deep snow.They work well for now,but I wanna upgrade to a 285 BFG when the factory`s wear out.

Reply to
Bill

Will a 285 BFG fit on my factory rims?

Reply to
Bill

I pull a 5th wheel camper with my 04 4x4. I am in the middle of raising it up 3 inches so it will go on to my lifted truck. I'm making 3 inch spacer blocks from 3 " sq alum. bar. I had longer U bolts made today, I just need to cut the bar and drill some clearance hole in it and I should be ready to lift the camper up. Than I'll lower the fithwheel hitch down 1". That should give me what I need.

Reply to
me

Hi Bill, Yes I tow something big, not crazy big but big enough. I have a 31' 5th wheel camper w/ a slide out. Tips the scale at about 9,000 lbs dry. I upgraded from my 01 1500 to this 04 2500 HD because of the camper. Good luck with the 285's, however from the train of notes here I don't think they will fit. The first problem you'll have is finding 16" 285's. I was told that BFG doesn't make the KO in that size which means you'll have to change the wheels. Second problem is clearance. I was told, and someone ("Me") in this note train confirmed that they will not fit (without rubbing) width wise. Not sure what I'm going to do because I still really want bigger tires, at least 285's. For now I removed the stupid 245 summer passenger tire Chevy put on it and replaced them with BFG 265 KO's. Big improvement but they still look small on this truck.

Bill wrote:

snow.They

Reply to
Rocketman

Steve, Thanks for the advice but one thing you'll never have to worry about with me is buying a Ford. I can't afford to maintain them after they leave the dealership. The one exception to this rule may end up being a

2007 Shelby Cobra GT500 or a Mustang GT - R, that is if Ford ever releases either one. Other than that, NO FORDS!

Steve W. wrote:

Reply to
Rocketman

Reply to
benick

dude, somebody was blowing smoke up your ass.... you can go up or down

3 tire sizes from the tire placard.. or so the statute says. buuuuuuut only the most anal garages (I know of a couple... they'd fail a brand new car) will fail for tire size, unless you're talking 44's on a Tercel, or something equally stupid.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

I was told by a Chevy dealer that the 2004 2500 HD trucks would take a

285/75R16 tire on the stock wheels without a lift or clearance issues (or adjusting the torsion bars). This should be a common enough size... and BFG does make both the MT and AT K/O's in that size.

Jumping from 245's to 285's might make the truck seem more sluggish, and throw the accuracy of the speedometer off. But the difference will be very minor. Just keep in mind that you could actually be going about 62 mph when the speedometer says 60.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Kra Z Joe