P 1404

Hi,
1998 Chevy 1/2 ton 350 with 207,000+. Still running good with minimal oil usage. Mostly Hwy miles.
Been getting a service engine soon light. Remembered that dealers
used to read them for free, ya right...Went to an auto store and it reads as a P1404. Did a little research and a few questions later it could be a stuck egr that will respond to brake kleener or a misreading of the closed position by the computer.
Anyone have odds on which is more likely?
Thanks
danl in Florida
memyselfandI wrote:

the ports. Put it back on, clear the code and see what happens. Check the connections as well. Not like you have anything to lose. If it doesn't work you could replace the valve. OR take it to a shop with a real scan tool and have them run the tests available on the EGR and see what they find.
--
Steve W.

I think I'll clean it and the connections and see what happens. Don't use it much in FL, almost always on the scoot.
danl