"P1345" crank to cam position correlation fault

I recently went down thru and replaced head gaskets and intake gaskets from an intake leak that got into the oil on a 96 k2500 4X4 w/5.7L Vortec. It's all back together and running fine,, but the service warning light still comes on and reads this code. I scan it and take it out,, but it comes back as soon as it starts up. My question is how do I get rid of this and what is the timing supposed to be set on and how do I set it? it is reading 20 degrees but when i move it away back towards 0 it immediatly runs very rough and has no power.it seems to run fine @20,, but it still isn't right. Could I have the distributor/trigger a tooth off? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Phil

Reply to
philc37388

First make sure the scan tool you are using will show you cam retard then warm up engine monitor camshaft retard degrees as you take engine speed above 1200 rpm CMP RET only updates itself above 1200 rpm with engine above 1200 rpm move distributor until scan tool reads 0 degrees camshaft retard +/- 2 degrees clear codes and light should not reset

Reply to
The Jones'