part id please

hello all...i have a 91 chevy p/u with a 350 five speed. I am having some trouble identifying a certain sensor..it is located on the driv side of the block. when i am driving at normal operating temp..such as
on the interstate at a modest 70 mph and suddenly give it the gas...you can hear the valves all chatter and a noicable decrease in power happens soon after. Also it triggers my check engine light. B4 i spend the money on OBD 1 tests i was wondering if anyone could give me their input. I have been told that this sensor is a type of heat sensor. When it goes bad..it causes this valve chatter to happen..similar to what the knock sensor does..only is triggered by heat. any hlp is greatly appreciated
nick