Patching hole in oil pan

Hi guys,
Never tried to patch an oil pan before, always just replaced the pan, but, don't want to put any money into this thing before I sell it.
The hole is in the side of the pan, it's pin-sized and only drips when the
pan is full (5 qts) as it's rather high up. My thoughts are to drain the oil pan, degrease the area, use a wire-wheel to remove the scale and then use JB Weld to patch her up, then a light coating of silicone to finish the deal.
Anyone ever done this? What did you do, and did it work?
Doc

the
I would use the JB Weld, but skip the silicone, I don't see any bennefit of it. Clean it good with some brake cleaner, and a light sanding may help after you get the chunks off with the sandpaper. I have no doubt it will work. I have a 8 HP Tecumseh on a snowblower that I got cheap because the connecting rod blew a hole in the block. I tore it down, polished the crank, patched the block with JB and slapped it togather with a new rod and piston rings. It has seen some pretty severe use for 12 winters now and is still holding, although oil is starting to just seep a bit somewhere on the patch. One day when I get ambitious I will pull the engine, clean it up and gie it another coat of JB Weld. Greg
Hey Doc.... I'll second what Greg says, I've done the JB repair to oil pans several times and can tell you that if the leaky area is clean and dry when you apply the JB weld it will not leak. I use spray paint over the repair just to keep nearby areas from rusting through and leaking. Bob

but,
the
the
then
of
crank,
piston
patch.
it

finish
still
Patched my XJ's gas tank the same way. It'll work fine.
This on the Elk or the Astro?

the

but,
the
the
then

the
J B Weld is usually a temporary fix, in my experience. You can preserve your reputation for quality if you either braze or silver solder the pinhole. JMO H

the
Two words. Duct tape! Couldn't resist. ;o)
Do what you got planned, that should last a long time. Maybe longer than you have the vehicle. The silicone is probably overkill though.
RJ in WV
We Had a Caterpillar Bulldozer and it cracked in the bottom of the transmission case we did not trust welding so we used good old JB Weld and it has been hold for over 5 year now. On oil pan we used JB weld and sometime we welded the hole shut sometime with metal patches.

but,
the
the
then
It's gotta be oil free for epoxy to stick to the pan. I did the pan on my '67 Caprice back in the '70's as it was cracked from road debris and it held 'till the car went to the bone yard a few years later. BTW is was on the motor when I did it. Epoxies have come a long way since then. Go for it, I would.
--
John
A friend of mine use to use JB on the cylinder walls in antique cushman engines to fix gouges and swore it worked great. It held up and sealed with the oil rings

the
I use Belzona 1311 at work often to repair blocks, pans, or anything really. It is certainly more expensive than JB but markedly better in quality.
http://www.belzona.com /

the
How about fiberglass resin?

the
I've not used JB Weld, but I have used Devcon plastic steel for such purposes on Cat tractors in an open pit mining environment, and the product held up well.
http://www.devcon.com/devconcatsolution.cfm?catid4

but,
the
the