Patching hole in oil pan

Hi guys,

Never tried to patch an oil pan before, always just replaced the pan, but, don't want to put any money into this thing before I sell it.

The hole is in the side of the pan, it's pin-sized and only drips when the pan is full (5 qts) as it's rather high up. My thoughts are to drain the oil pan, degrease the area, use a wire-wheel to remove the scale and then use JB Weld to patch her up, then a light coating of silicone to finish the deal.

Anyone ever done this? What did you do, and did it work?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I would use the JB Weld, but skip the silicone, I don't see any bennefit of it. Clean it good with some brake cleaner, and a light sanding may help after you get the chunks off with the sandpaper. I have no doubt it will work. I have a 8 HP Tecumseh on a snowblower that I got cheap because the connecting rod blew a hole in the block. I tore it down, polished the crank, patched the block with JB and slapped it togather with a new rod and piston rings. It has seen some pretty severe use for 12 winters now and is still holding, although oil is starting to just seep a bit somewhere on the patch. One day when I get ambitious I will pull the engine, clean it up and gie it another coat of JB Weld. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Patched my XJ's gas tank the same way. It'll work fine.

This on the Elk or the Astro?

Reply to
burntkat

Greg and Bob,

Thanks! I'll have at her later this week. Neighbor gave me his Astro van, so I don't want to put many $$$ into it before I sell it. All she needs is front brake lines and the oil pan patched and she'll be good 2 go.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

It's the Astro.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

J B Weld is usually a temporary fix, in my experience. You can preserve your reputation for quality if you either braze or silver solder the pinhole. JMO H

Reply to
Hairy

Two words. Duct tape! Couldn't resist. ;o)

Do what you got planned, that should last a long time. Maybe longer than you have the vehicle. The silicone is probably overkill though.

RJ in WV

Reply to
RJ in WV

Reply to
Pika

It's gotta be oil free for epoxy to stick to the pan. I did the pan on my '67 Caprice back in the '70's as it was cracked from road debris and it held 'till the car went to the bone yard a few years later. BTW is was on the motor when I did it. Epoxies have come a long way since then. Go for it, I would.

Reply to
Repairman

Reply to
Larry Schmitt

I use Belzona 1311 at work often to repair blocks, pans, or anything really. It is certainly more expensive than JB but markedly better in quality.

Demon

How about fiberglass resin?

Reply to
seeray

I've not used JB Weld, but I have used Devcon plastic steel for such purposes on Cat tractors in an open pit mining environment, and the product held up well.

Commentator