Pickup: 1500 vs 2500 Tradeoffs?

I've been shopping for a 1500.

Looks like I *might* wind up with a 2500.

Price aside, can anybody enumerate the tradeoffs?

How bad is the harder ride with no load?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

No load a 2500 rides like a TRUCK!

1500 rides more like a large car.

2500 parts are sometimes much more expensive (depending on options) Usually the 2500s are worse on gas as well.

Reply to
Steve W.

Unless your haulin heavy stuff, go with the 1500.

The Twin Turbo F-250 looks interesting.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

My 2500 rides like a Cadillac. It's a '99 model, but I suspect that there is not much of a difference. It came with the "firm ride package" that I blew out in the deserts of Nevada.

If it has the 6.0L you should expect around 330-480 miles per tank, depending on terrain, your foot, and the size of your tank. Mine is 28 gallons, IIRC.

When I tow a 7000 pound load the mileage drops down to

230-280 miles per tank. Yes, that's a lot to ask from the girl, but she does it anyway.

I'd get a 2500HD, chip it, and enjoy the 25MPG+ with that Duramax diesel.

Reply to
Nightcrawler

I have a 2500 Diesel 4 speed 4x4 and it gets bout 25 mpg highway.

While a bit bigger and with more beef .. it rides like a Caddy.

Putting a Pallet of compost in the back is no problem at all dispite the short bed in place ( it is a Three Door truck).

With the prices these days ... buy used.

Oh the Duramax Diesel that is not a problem.

Torque the wheel nuts as they break and get the larger tires in slowing rotation of the drive train while you riding higher off the ground.

The 1500 is more of toss away truck to my thinking ...

the 2500 has endurance.

In Snow Country here in California 2500s are easy to get used.

Harsh environment up there and need new up there as it works better.

sumbuddie wear blind sea

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane