Pickup + Snow: Need 4wd?

All the cars I've ever owned, positraction would get me through almost anything and chains would get me through the other 1%.

But when I lived in a warm climate, I had a '63 Chevy van and the traction on that thing was so bad that, without a load, I used to burn rubber just trying to inch up my driveway.

Are pickups analogous - i.e. so light in the back that, unladen, they have poor enough traction that snow would be a problem even with posi?

Bottom Line: Does anybody drive their pickup in snow with only positraction and not regret it?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

If you have to go up hills, driveways that are twisty, etc. in snow/ice conditions there is no substitute for 4x4 period. Been doing home service in vans for 40 yrs, I'm a van driving expert by now. A locking diff and good "real" snow tires will get you to a lot of places but not where a locking diff. with 4x4 will take you or get you out of. Twisty uphill driveway, call us back ma'm when you defrost it. I've had my Yukon bumper deep in snow, that's what stopped it, bumper and air dam under it was plowing too much snow. G80 locking diff = true 3 wheel drive. BFG all terrain TA tires I'm also a snowmobiler so lots of winter driving experience with a 1 ton trailer out back. With 2wd vans and cars also. If your going the pickup 2wd route good winter tires and weight in the bed will get you around on the flats OK. If you can afford 4x4 and live in the snow zone then that's the way to go so you can go when you have to without extra drama on the stormy days.

Reply to
repairman54

I agree. Either get 2wd and load the bed with a couple hundred pounds of sand (which can also be used under the tires for additional traction if needed on ice) or get a 4wd and just drive through it. Make sure you get real AT or MT tires. Best tires I had were the old Firestone 23 degree MT. Wore like iron and lots of traction!

Reply to
Michael Dobony