Pickup Truck Bed Covers: Tradeoffs? Favorites?

I'm about to replace my 'burb with a pickup truck (6.5' bed).
Seems to me like some sort of bed cover is a no-brainer - if only for the extra MPG.
But what kind?
- Soft?
- Plastic panels
- Rollup?
- Powered?
- Manual?
Anticipated use is mainly for trips to the beach to go windsurfing. i.e. The bed only gets opened closed a few times per week, and security is not a big deal.
Low use and lack of security concerns notwithstanding, I'm tempted to go with a high-end rollup - if only for peace of mind when a couple of feet of snow falls overnite.
Does anybody have a make/model that's served them well?
Am I making a mistake with the roll-up?
--
PeteCresswell

I've used A.R.E. products on all our trucks for years. Never an issue with them. http://www.4are.com /