pine pitch removal

I know this is not just a 4X4 question...but I got stuck parking under a pine tree which dripped...made worse by 70+ degrees all day for a week...the pitch is very hard and will not come off.. I am worried about damaging the paint, bug/tar off product is not doing anything. Any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
Doug North

Doug There are loads of products on the market for this,but being I live under a bunch of pine trees I have found that the Original formula of RAIN- X works great on taking off all types of tree sap. I have been using this for 20 years on all type of paint and have never had a problem. The RAIN-X has ketones that will solve your problem. Put a little RAIN-X on a paper towel or directly on baked on sap and rub like your are waxing your car/truck. After the tar is gone I apply water and sometime a little wax to the treated spot. This stuff also works great on windows too. Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Wright via CarKB.com

Reply to
Robert Ball

ive used a belt sander with a 50 grit paper.

Reply to
hardworking

"nwshinnob1" wrote: > I know this is not just a 4X4 question...but I got stuck > parking under a > pine tree which dripped...made worse by 70+ degrees all day > for a week...the > pitch is very hard and will not come off.. I am worried about > damaging the > paint, bug/tar off product is not doing anything. Any ideas? > Thanks

Rain X, I own a tree care company and am always cleaning sap off the trucks/equipment. Family also owns a large company which saplies detailers and auto shops with all the detailing suplies you could think off and nuthing he?s gotten me has worked as well as the Rain X.

Gas also works great, but not if you like the paint or clear coat.

Reply to
Maack

Rain X! Who would have thunk it! BUT IT WORKS! I had sap that came out of some pods that came from a Cottonwood tree and it had baked on by the sun on the top of my black truck. I tried everything; bug & tar remover, mineral spirits, gasoline, clay bar but they didn't work.

After reading your post, I went and tried the Rain X and it came right off!

Thanks for the Tip, I was headed for the body shop tomorrow to have them try and remove it.

Reply to
Ray

I wonder if Winn's Rain-Away is the same formula as Rain-X?

Reply to
High Sierra

I'm not familiar with Rain-Away, but the only thing the Rain-X box says is it contains denatured alcohol.

Reply to
Ray

OK, first it's Wynn's not Winn's. Sorry about that.

Second, the only indication of what it contains is that it's a "clear polymer". No mention of alcohol.

It's designed to disperse rain from the windshield. Is that what Rain-x does?

Reply to
High Sierra

Their ad says: Rain-X transparent polymer coating causes rain to "bead up" and roll off glass surfaces.

Ray

"High Sierra1" wrote: > Ray wrote: > > High Sierra wrote: > > >  >> Ray wrote: >  >>

yeah thats what it does, according to the packaging on the rain x wipes "Rain X seals the microscopic pores of glass with a super-slick, non-stick invisable barrier that repels rain, sleet and snoe on contact. Raindrops bead up and are blown away by the aerodynamic wind flow from driving; improving all-weather visability, safty and driving comfert. The Rain X treatment also makes for easy removal of frost, ice, salt, mud and bugs." - thats right off the Rain X Glass Treatment Wipes pack. I find this type the best for windows but the original type in the spray botle is best for removing sap the wipes tear when rubbing hard sap. just Spray sap area real good let sit for a few secongs then rub with paper towel and cloth. After sap is gone the rain X wil go kinda hazey so just kinda buff it out with a cloth like u were waxing by hand. And as someone else said earlier i also add a litle wax to the area. I haven?t noticed rainX damaging the paint but I always wax after to be on the safe side.

Reply to
Maack

Sounds like the same thing as the Wynn's. I'll try my Wynn's next time I have sap to remove.

Reply to
High Sierra