Ping "Doc" or "Trans Surgeon"

I have a 1996 GMC Yukon. Purchased it used and within a few month the transmission failed. Took the advice of members of this group and went to my local GMC dealer who agreed and offered a GMC warranted rebuilt transmission. At that time they also strongly recommended (insisted) that I replace the radiator at the same time. Said that if I didn't I would be back in a few thousand miles needing another transmission. I agreed and yes the oil cooler appeared to be blocked by what looked like black crunchies. $3758 dollars later I went on my way. Now , fast forward 8,981 miles and 12 months later and the thing is slipping when I back up the driveway. Back to the dealer with receipt (warranty) in hand. No questions asked, we'll put another GM rebuilt in for you at no charge. No one could or would answer my question about how a 3yr/50000 mile warranted transmission could fail in such a short period of time other than "your truck is a mechanical device and mechanical devices fail".

For the last couple of weeks I have noticed what sounds like a subtle whirring noise from under the floorboards about where the transmission resides. At a stop light in drive it appears to vary in intensity and frequency and I'm convinced there is a whining coming from the same place when I get off the gas and coast to a stop. At this point it's just something that sounds different. It may be slightly more pronounced when going in reverse. Here's my problem. The three year warranty expires on March 12, 2005. In many ways I hate to go back to the dealer who installed both of the previous transmissions as I cant stand the Service Manager ( the source of the "mechanical" quote).

I guess what I want to know is if something is going bad or not. This is a change in sound. No tires or other things have changed on the vehicle. Nothing has ever been towed and highway speeds never exceed 70. Current mileage is 106,000. The first replacment gearbox made it for 8981 miles and IF this one is failing it will have been 10,000 miles. Can anyone suggest an avenue of recourse or offer any suggestions?

Bob

Reply to
Robert Clark

Take it back and be firm but not forceful. If they wont do anything...there is always the Better Business Bureau!

Reply to
Shades

I know, you didn't ask me, but I'll speak up anyway. I'd send a sample of the tranny oil in to one of the testing labs. If you have something internal deteriorating, that should tell you. H

Reply to
Hairy

Inline.........

No, you ignored the advice of the group and installed another GM-built transmission, which is exactly the same as the one that grenaded. The advice of the group was to go to a local independent transmission shop that works on a lot of trucks and purchase one of their rebuilds. Would have saved you about $1,000 and you wouldn't be in the boat you are now.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, just being honest. The GM transmission you got was exactly the same as your last one that blew up.

Hmmmmmm, pretty bad explanation huh?

No way to tell if anything is going wrong without hearing it and seeing it, I can't just guess from this end as I don't even know what it "sounds" like. TransSurgeon may have more insight (in fact I'm sure he will). I'd take it back and make sure it's right before March though!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

I bought a GM re-manned trans. at about 170K for my '96 Tahoe and have been going strong ever since. I've now got 260K+. Tow a bass boat too. Guess it just depends.

Reply to
JB

I just took a valve body off a re-man with only 40 K and the TCC valve bore (oversized by GM in the re-man process) is slopped out again

another 83 bucks for a new reamer for the 'double-oversize sleeve'........................

Reply to
TranSurgeon