PING - IAN

I posted awhile back about how one gets the additional caster / camber on a 1999 K1500. I knew that the manual said there were knock outs for the upper
control arm that need to be removed in the frame.
How hard are they to remove with out the special GM tool? Also are the knock outs on only the inner side of the hole, or is it on both sides of the existing hole?
I want to remove them myself and of course will need to get an alignment ASAP but I also need to drive it there.
Thanks
Brian
el Diablo wrote:

Is this old style truck? If so, I never used the "GM special tool" to remove the knockouts. I used an airchisel with a special bit that just punched them out. They are on both sides of the existing hole. Unless they are charging an arm and a leg to do it, you would save yourself a whole lot of hassle by just paying them to do it.
Ian

It is the old style truck '98 down body style. I did get some prices today from five different shops.
Independent shop #1 - $150.00 including the alignment Independent shop #2 - $200.00 including the alignment Chevy dealer #1 - $160.00 including the alignment Chevy dealer #2 - $250.00 including the alignment Chevy dealer #3 - $320.00 including the alignment
I was surprised by the big difference in dealer prices. I'll probably just take it to dealer #1 as they seamed to know what they were talking about right out of the shoot, and the price is reasonable.
Thanks Ian
Brian
el Diablo wrote:

Well....the #2 and #3 guys are way out to lunch. The additional labour charge at our dealership is only 1 hr for the knockouts, and that's to the tech...I believe the labour cost to the customer is "menu priced", so the customer doesn't pay 96 dollars for the additional labour. In reality, it doesn't take long to remove the knockouts in most cases. GM has partially stamped the knockouts so that in most cases, one little blast from an airchisel and they are out. I've run into the odd one that I had to get my die grinder out and grind out that knockout, but that's rare.
Ian