PING: JBS re: chugging and lugging

OP was way down on the list so I started a new thread for your issues!

well, it did not fix my problem, and they want to check my 'computer' out. > The owner of the shop said the EGR was functioning, and basically it is > either 'off' or 'on'. His worker, said it was leaking vacuum....

Well, the vacuum could have been contributing to your problem. This thread has been going on for so long now I forget what you've done thus far.

  1. Complete tune up. Plugs, wires, cap and rotor?
  2. Had the ICM checked yet?
  3. Scanned for codes lately?
  4. Replaced 02 if older than 5 years or 75k miles?
  5. Recheck timing, should be 0* or TDC. Bump it up to 4* BTDC and see if it helps.

Doc

P.S. This thread is way down on the list. I'd start a new thread when you reply to this message. Ahhhh hell, I'll do it for ya!

Reply to
"Doc"

YEP

thats what the owner wants to do. he is wondering if it is an aftermarket chip because the intake is a Edelbrock performer tbi. Said the hesitation (what i called lugging) is around 1200 rpm. high hydrocarbons, too

YEP-NONE

YEP-UNIT FROM NAPA

yep . >

THANKS!

thanks Doc! Going to drop it off at this shop one more time. Actually running worse on low throttle applications. Stalling out on me when gently moving or backing up. have to 'goose' it. seems to run somewhat better when gitin' on the freeway. Think its backfiring - hearing a loud 'pop' sound when at part throttle cruise, unsure from where, sounds like underneath by cat. hopin' this guy could square me away since it is a smog check shop. if not, well, i guess i will have to try a third place. thanks again for all your advice. i am not surprised that it is right on. jim

Reply to
JBS

That doesn't make sense. If hydrocarbons are high, it's running rich, and if the cat is heating up big time it's running rich. My next target would be the Fuel pressure regulator. I would also yank the ICM (not ECM, you were confused in your earlier reply). The ICM (ignition control module) is under the distributor cap, held down by two screws, the ECM (engine control module) is the computer located behind the glove box.

Also, did you bump the timing up a few degrees? Did it help?

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

If you live in NE Ohio bring er' over and I'll have it fixed likety-split!

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

Well, i am embarrassed.

It was the damn egr valve. telling the computer that it was WOT when it wasnt. Runs like a top now. you were pretty much dead on. thanks for your advice, Doc, i am keeping these post as a reminder for my ignorant ass in the future have a good one! jim

Reply to
JBS