ping shiden_kai code p0300 '97 safari 4.3L 79000 Km's

An aquaintance has been to the dealer, numerous visits/hundreds of bucks spent with no fix for a miss fire (missing under load). parts replaced: plugs
wires cap rotor serviced: injector(s) cleaned
Most recent scan showed a 5000+ count miss fire at #6 plug, with lessor numbers at #'s 1 2 3 and 5 4 being the only clean firing of the bunch.
I'm suspecting an ignition module or coil, but am not familiar with vortec components. Is the distributor mechanically driven from the cam, or is it strictly triggered from the ecu?
Two questions 1)Will a failing ignition module (so far not touched) set this code? 2)Will a failing injector pack set this code?
Thanks in advance Rolf
Rolf, It just so happens that I have a brother in eastern Washington state with the same problems with his '97 Astro with 136000 km's. We have done all the same things that you have also. We finally replaced the injectors. General Motors has a new type of injector for rhe vortec engines. Rather than replacing each inj. separatly. $120.00 U.S. each. The new set up has all six and the new housing at about $350.00 U.S. The injectors are mounted closer to the cylinder. Our problem-- GONE. I gather from your mileage you are in Canada. Your dealers should be able to supply you with parts. If you have any trouble I can supply part numbers from Az. Hope this helps you. Scott
Rolf wrote:

Unfortunately, I won't be much help on this type of diagnosis as I do very little/none driveability/electrical type of work.

The distributor is driven off the cam, but it's really nothing more then a cam sensor on these engines. And it provides the crude method of directing spark to the different cylinders. What is "triggered" is the coil.

I would lean towards what the other poster mentioned. I know that there has been a lot of problems with the injectors....to the point where replacement is a common fix.
Ian
Thanks for the info guys, its been fwd'd to my aquaintance. Rolf