Piston Slap

Page 1 of 3
I have a 2006 Yukon Denali with the 6.0 engine with 12K miles. I recently started hearing a knocking sound when the engine is cold. Has piston slap been reported on these engines? Please tell me no since I have this with my
Expedition.
Can't anyone make an engine anymore that doesn't knock?

AFAIK it's not an issue for newer ones. Some 1999-2002 engines are the main offenders.

Not true, it was worse back then but can still be a issue today due to acceptable production tolerances to meet quotas and control costs. Using 10w30 instead of 5w30 will help and reserve 5w30 for temps consistantly below zero (F) ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
Thanks for the reply.
I believe I have this and will change the viscosity on my next oil change.
Ken

I either have this or another engine issue. Having this in my Expedition, I'm kind of leaning towards the piston slap.
It's too bad because this is one nice vehicle.
Ken

NJ Vike wrote

All of the new gen small block engines have this problem. It's fairly normal...and I doubt that you will get the dealer to do anything. Just drive the thing.
Ian
Thanks for the reply.
Why are they building engines like this?
Ken

Cost and time. Which amounts to cost and cost.
NJ Vike wrote:

Because They Know that PEOPLE will not do their Research before Buying a Vehicle,,,
one way to Guage a Vehicle's Quality, Is To Go around the to the Back of The DEALERSHIP around 8am and See How many Cars & Trucks are lined up For SERVICE ! The Service Department with the Shortest lines is The Vehicle You want to BUY !
And all those Cars ARE NOT Getting their oil changed, only About 10%

I thought they won award for quality from J.D.Powers & Associates? That much I thought I saw. Also, Consumer Reports gave it a "Recommended" I guess you can't believe everything you read.
Ken

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:19:42 GMT, "NJ Vike"

If you look at a GM manual for 20 or 30 years ago on prodution tolerances on engine internals you will see that today they have a larger gap or spread as to what is acceptable than they did back then. If you have the misfourtune to get a engine that the bores are at the large end of the tolerance and pistons that are at the small end together in one engine they can slap/knock. Gone are the day when they would closely fit pistons to bore because labors costs are too high. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
SnoMan wrote:

Really? Better dig out your 20-30 year old manuals and tell me what the piston to cyl clearance was. (production, not service) In the case of a 5.3 v-8 in 2006, the gm spec is:
a.. Piston - Piston to Bore Clearance - Production -0.036 to +0.016 mm -0.0014 to +0.0006 in
Look at that! A negative number! See if the 20-30 year old manuals come close to that tolerance!
Ian

I have looked and while I have not looked at a 06 spec recently I have older ones (05 on back). I nknew a few guys that used to work in GM engine plants in 60's through 80's and they told me how they used to take time to get it right and fit each part and get each bearing right one but that started to fade out in later 70's and by the today, the parts are slaped together whether they are the correct fit or not with no time to hand fit them like they did long ago when they would have pistions batches of different sizes that they would match to bore if need be. SOme blame shorter skirts which has some effect but the bottom line is "IF" they would take the time to fit them properly from day one there would be no slap but with todays labor cost making up about 70% of the cost of a vehicle they are hard pressed to use as little extra labor as possible. You can put spec in a book but following them is another matter at time and it would be interesting to tear down a engine that is slapping a lot and measure the bore and the piston. It is very very rare to see slap in a import motor because they spend more care and man hours building it. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

70% of the cost of a vehicle is labor?? What the hell have you been smokin'.

Which sand pile have you had your head in???? This is VERY common knowledge in automotive industry and trade news. In 2005 health insurance alone added 1500 dollars to the price of a new GM vehicle. GM is bleed very badly from labor costs and if they do not get them down by 2010 they will be doomed to going out of bussiness because the market will nolonger support the product prices need to continue to support high labot costs as it has reached critical mass. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com
SnoMan wrote:

Please support these claims with legitimate information.
As an employee, I can tell you that this is not true. Are you an employee?

I will not waste my time to find something that has been known for over a year now. IF you do not believe it prove it otherwise. The fact that you do not shows you are not well informed. I make it my bussiness to keep track of these things and others. Why do you think GM is spending a fortune on early buyouts? It is because it is cheaper to buy them out than to keep paying them long term. How long do you think they can stay profitable when they average labor cost per man hour (wages, insurance, benifits and paid time off) is over $70/hr??? I know a few guy that own factories that make parts for GM and they want them as cheaply as possible to offset high internal costs but things have reached their limt when SUV and fuel prices rose to current levels. Detriot will not servive long term if they cannot get costs down and quality up. The writting is on the wall for those who choose to see it. . ----------------- TheSnoMan.com

What the idiot meant to say is: "For some time I have posted mostly BS info on the internet. When questioned about the BS info, I ignore the question and continue to post more BS info.Why would you expect me to stop my usual routine"?

~snip~
I agree that trying to substantiate your statements would be a waste of time, but the real waste of time is in reading your posts. You do, however, have some entertainment value. Keep up the good work.
Dave

Only because you want to believe otherwise. I realy do not care if you do not beleive it as you are free to keep your head in the sand. People that track industry and markets know this so I guess you do neither or do so poorly. Again new car equals 30% raw materail cost 70% labor cost for GM in 2005. I have not seen figures for 2006 yet because they are not out yet. The colapse of the past high profit SUV market has knocked the socks off and put books in red big time. Write it on the wall, GM is either going to bust up labor union wages or bust up company in next 3 to 5 years tops because it cannot survive much longer on credit. ----------------- TheSnoMan.com