Piston Slap

Are you a Labor union Rep??

Yes Gm has LABOR cost of Building a Vehicle..which u Say is figure in the price of The AUTO..

You are forgetting that Gm Buys parts from other companies and in the price of EACH Part they Buy is The LABOR for that cost that Supplier paid to make that product..

Steel workers WAGES/Labor is included in the price of the Steel,, So now as an example, GM is ReimBursing the Steel industry for the labor to process the Steel, ( Let Not ForGet the Miners Labor also) So these labor cost need to be added to the Labor Cost that GM says it cost them!

With EVERY part Gm buys you need to ADD labor to the Cost.. Even the labor For the Trucker to Deliver the parts

Reply to
tom

pure BS, as I said insurance costs alone added 1500 per car in 2005 for GM. Also it takes 6.5 man hours to buld just a 4L60e @70/hr or about 455 bucks. (I know this because the coming 6L80/90 was designed to be assembled by robots and cut labors cost by over 35% per unit) I do not know where the author got his figures but he is dead wrong. ALso gem spends just a like over 20 man hours @ 70/hr assembling cars (this does not count hours to build sub assemblys) Toyota spends about

23 to 24 per car because of lower labor costs with resulting higher quality control. YOu need to do a lot more research and a lot less BSing because you are really clueless. If labors was such a low part of vehicle cost detriot would not be hurting so badly and pickups would not be 35 to 45 K.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Unless you have something besides your word, which has been proven to be worthless, to back up your story, you might as well go back to that bottle that you've been sharing with Tom. At least I provided something that has been published to back me up. You can't even do that.

Dave

Reply to
Hairy

Your in Trouble if you believe Everything that is published !

Reply to
tom

Sigh...

Until you work for GM, (like some of us here do) you will not know the truth. Media articles are nice, but about half of them are ever true. In this case, your 70% figure is untrue. I do not fault you, because you are just following news articles that the author failed to verify. But at least now, we can correct you with the truth.

The truth is, about 15% of a vehicle is hourly and salary (5% hourly,

10% salary) labor costs. Labor costs also include each & every employee, including CEO pay & options. People fail to realize that. GM would fare much better if they severed or offered a buyout to the salaried workforce. At the present moment, there are 5 salaried to each hourly worker on average. With the exodus of hourly workers, GM has failed to realize that cutting fat from the leg, does not remove fat from the beer belly. But in order to win the media's love, blame falls upon the hourly workforce. Sad to say, GM will not move forward with momentum until they cut the salary fat as well.

As far as the argument about a $35k truck... Why doesn't the SUV made in Mexico sticker price less than the same one made in Wisconsin? The mexican workforce is without "high wages, legacy costs and healthcare costs." If GM found a solution to the 15% labor costs, it will not affect vehicle pricing, because it isn't a major issue, when component costs are. Another myth.... busted.

Another thing. I receive a cost benefit analysis statement from GM each year regarding the value of my pay & benefits, broken down to an hourly figure. I know what that is, and it sure isn't $70. Please stop using false information.

Heh... Your Toledo, Ohio Powertrain transmission plant figures are wrong as well. Do you live in Toledo? I'll meet you this weekend for lunch to discuss.

Snoman.. I agree with some things you say about other topics, but you should really stay away from this one, since it is evident that you are not proficient on this topic.

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to
BLB

Thanks Ian, Just wanted a frame of reference if I ever here noise from mine.

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
diablo

-----

I feel ya sno man, however, i think most engins today are far, far better then anything in the

70's, and early 80's. Vega engins come to mind... burned oil right off the show room floor. It gonna take government action to get rid of the piston slap issue in iron engins, which are going by the way side these days... so that means nothing gonna happen there. Slap should go away after it get good and hot.

HDS

Reply to
HDS