Pitman Arm Replacement

Threaded View
99 K1500 Suburban. I had my suspension check because my alignment is so far
off. I had to replace my idler arm and pitman arm. I got the idler replaced
after about 4-5 trips to get new tools to fit the job. Now the Pitman arm
is a nightmare! There is no room to get a closed end box wrench on it and I
can't find a 33mm wrench anywhere but Grainger for $50+. Do I need to take
the steering box off to get this thing replaced or is there some technique
for getting to this that I don't see? Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike D.

Re: Pitman Arm Replacement

I did my 95.  I used a open/box end wrench & pipe to pop the nut off,
and a short fat puller to get the arm off.
The open end box wrench (craftsman) has an angled box end that helps.
It was tight, and a pita to do it with out a lift. But, I gather the 99
is the same.

Cheers

Re: Pitman Arm Replacement

They don't sell a 33mm anymore. Have to go to Ebay for something affordable
and offset. Can't get an open box on anything but the corners due to the
angle.

Site Timeline