Pitman Arm Replacement

99 K1500 Suburban. I had my suspension check because my alignment is so far off. I had to replace my idler arm and pitman arm. I got the idler replaced after about 4-5 trips to get new tools to fit the job. Now the Pitman arm is a nightmare! There is no room to get a closed end box wrench on it and I can't find a 33mm wrench anywhere but Grainger for $50+. Do I need to take the steering box off to get this thing replaced or is there some technique for getting to this that I don't see? Any advice would be appreciated.

Mike D.

I did my 95. I used a open/box end wrench & pipe to pop the nut off, and a short fat puller to get the arm off. The open end box wrench (craftsman) has an angled box end that helps. It was tight, and a pita to do it with out a lift. But, I gather the 99 is the same.

Cheers

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 23:10:37 -0500, Martin Riddle wrote:

They don't sell a 33mm anymore. Have to go to Ebay for something affordable and offset. Can't get an open box on anything but the corners due to the angle.