Pivoting Headache Rack: Anybody Done It?

5.5' bed with AdaRac racks installed.
AdaRac has some pretty robust right-angle rails along the bed's edges.
I'd like some passenger/driver protection in the event of a minor crash
and a Skil saw, router, generator, hammers, or whatever else I wouldn't care to take in the back of my neck at 30 mph.
Seems like something could be worked out that pivots on the AdaRac's rails. Mockup at: http://tinyurl.com/bsbzok7 , http://tinyurl.com/cyjj8j9 , http://tinyurl.com/c9danxk
Has anybody been here?
Flaws in the basic concept?
And I'm wondering about a suitable material: something that will absorb the energy, yet not be too massive for somebody to flip up and down by hand.
Pete Cresswell