Please Help... 99 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Ext Cab Suspension

Since I bought the truck a few years back (used) I have always found it rough on bumps... especially the front, not smooth at all. Similar trucks I have rode in I find the suspension is much more forgiving.
Mine seems to ride like a heavy duty 2500.
I was going to buy new shocks... but I am not certain if that is the problem.
Can anyone help me out?
Thanks

Is yours the Z71 or standard suspension?
Doc
Standard suspension

A few things to look into.
1) Do you have P or LT rated tires? LT's will ride much firmer than P-rated tires. 2) What is your tire pressure? 35 psi should give you the best ride. 3) I've had great results with Gabriel Sport-Ryder shocks on my truck. Ride nice, cheap as dirt, lifetime warranty, and 40k later they're still going strong.
Doc