poor gas mileage

First off, This is a Chevy and not a Ford so you're not hitting an "overdrive" button on the end of the shifter - it's the "tow/haul mode" button if just clicked once quickly. And No, it won't change your RPM's because all it does is change the shift points between gears as you accelerate and run up through them to finally arrive at overdrive.

If you really want to disable your overdrive, press and HOLD the tow/haul button - but be prepared to see a sharp rise in RPM's when you do (I don't suggest doing at highway speeds). At that point you should also see a light on your dash with OD and a line through it indicating that the overdrive is disabled.

I can't say if 2200 rpm is too high or just right - my Silverado is a 2500HD with the Duramax and Allison so what I get won't be comparable to what you should get. However, I get 500 miles on a complete 26 gallon tank of diesel - or I did before I went to larger tires. I have a speedo error now and haven't remeasured it. There are three things to check when you see mileage like yours: 1) a basic tune up with plugs, air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve, etc. 2) make sure your torque converter is locking up at highway speeds; and 3) check your rear axle ratio. If you have a 4.10:1 rear axle for towing then you are getting the mileage I would expect to see. But if you have a 3.73 or lower ratio then you've got an issue here.

To check if you torque converter is locking up properly, you can drive along at a steady 50mph on flat terrain (the converter should be locked up at this point). With your right foot still on the gas, use your left foot and lightly press your brake pedal - not firm enough to slow you down but just enough to activate the brake lights. You should see a 200-300 jump in RPM indicating that the converter is unlocking. If you don't see the jump then it may not be locked up to begin with.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Your fuel tank is a 26 gallon tank, you have a 5.3l 1500 crew cab, 4 wheel drive. The 2008 version is EPA rated at 14 city, 19 highway.

You have not told us what rear gear you have, you have not told us your driving habits (all city, all highway, mix), you do say you have a light foot. You have not told us at what point you fill up, completely empty, 1/4 tank etc. So this is the best you are going to get for an answer.

A 26 gallon tank at 290 miles is approximately 11.5 MPG, so yes, you seem to be a little off from what it should be.

As a comparision, with mine, with the only differences being year and that I have the extended cab, I am getting around 350 in the city, which puts me closer to the EPA rating.

Reply to
azwiley1

I fill up when the light comes on and the miles are city and highway. I do not know what gears I have. How can I find that out ?

Reply to
wmiller2502

Me thinks this is your problem, there is no overdrive button. OD is another notch on the shift lever, the button is two/haul mode. If your running around in tow/haul mode that could account for the low mpg.

Reply to
Eugene

Mine is 4wd and I can get 19-20. 4wd makes very little difference anymore.

Reply to
Eugene

There should be a tag on the differential cover that is held on by one or two of the differential cover bolts. It'll probably be 3.73 or 4.10. If there is no tag. you could lift the rear wheels off the ground, put the transmission in neutral and count how many times it take to turn both wheels in order to get the drive shaft to make one complete turn, or a dealer could probably tell you just be running the VIN.

Reply to
Ed H.

Since you can't tell what gear you are, why don't you redneck it. The stick on the column, put it in 1st, go, then 2nd, go, than 3rd, go, than D, than go some more. You should see something happen on your tach. That will tell you if your tranny still had OD.

Reply to
Bill

Look in the glove box for the RPO options tag. It will tell you what gears it has along with most of the options on the truck as well. Then look at

or
find out what they mean.

Reply to
Steve W.
2006 1500 Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears Reg Cab around 5k on the odometer

Most of my driving is just puttering around town and I get 15.5 MPG.

Drove it 1100 miles with about 1000 lbs in the back and got 19 on the road.

I buy cheap gas, Wal*Mart, Kroger's, etc.

Karl

Reply to
Silverado

Or look at the sticker in the glove box

G72 AXLE REAR, 2.14 RATIO G75 AXLE REAR, 3.62 RATIO G76 AXLE REAR, 3.36 RATIO

G90 AXLE REAR, 3.15 RATIO G91 AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO G92 AXLE REAR, 3.08 RATIO, PERFORMANCE G93 AXLE REAR, 3.27 RATIO G94 AXLE REAR, 3.31 RATIO G95 AXLE REAR RATIO, ECONOMY G96 AXLE REAR, 3.55 RATIO G97 AXLE REAR, 2.37 RATIO

GT4 AXLE REAR, 3.73 RATIO

Reply to
Eugene