poor mpg 02 blazer 4.3

i get really bad mpg on my 02 blazer 4.3 lt i get 12 i town and maybe 19 hwy any ideas why i get such bad mpg i only have a 13 gal tank it has been tuned and it doesn't seem to help?
BAIN15
@webtv.net says...

Bad mileage?
---EPA--- 4x4 Auto 14city    18hwy
4x4 Manual 12city    16hwy
2wd Auto 15city    20hwy
2wd Manual 14city    20hwy --------- Just what did you expect to get because none of us here have a magic wand.
on Tuesday 27 November 2007 08:35 pm, someone posing as dan baker took a rock and etched into the cave:

Heatwave has a good point.
However, is this different than you're used to? If so there may be several areas to review.
1. EGR Valve. Sometimes this sticks in the open position and causes inappropriate fuel delivery.
2. EGR screen. I think there's a screen that may collect stuff if you have bad injectors (see item #3) that clogs up in the same area as the EGR valve.
3. Fuel injectors. Check these. They can become clogged.
4. O2 sensors. Check the two sensors as they may be sending the computer commands for more fuel than is needed.
--
www.perfectreign.com

I have an 01 Jimmy 4x4 I get from 13-14 city depending on how bad the traffic is and 19-20 Hiway.
What you are getting is perfectly normal ( unfortunately but true )
dan baker wrote:

Manual get 12/16pmg city/highway Automatic gets 14/18 city/highway
according to FuelEconomy.gov
What mileage are you really expecting from these trucks? They are not known to be fuel efficient? you might as well get a 5.3L fullsize truck
on Thursday 29 November 2007 01:55 am, someone posing as Picasso took a rock and etched into the cave:

that's what i did.
my full-size Avalanche gets teh same (or better) mileage than my Jimmy did.
--
www.perfectreign.com

PerfectReign wrote:

I had a crazy idea that i was going to save fuel by buying a ford ranger... then i got one for work... i get anywhere from 15-16mpg with that. needless to say, i did not buy a ford ranger..and that is a 3.0L 5speed 2wd.
i bought a chevrolet 5.3 4x4 extended cab and i've gotten as high as 19-20mpg. i got that about once on the ranger... summer time with a tailwind.
Picasso wrote:

95 Ranger 4 cyl 5 speed stick got me 28mpg highway from 1995-2003 when I sold it. 94 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2 door 4L automatic 20mpg highway.
2003 Silverado 6L ext cab 8 foot bed w/matching cap 4X4 HD with tow and plow packages gets 10mpg highway on a good day driving it the same way as the two above.
nonsense wrote:

Yep, I had a rental 6.0L 2500HD 4x4 ext cab 8' bed as well, on the average of the 10 days i had it, i put 2600KMS on it, and i got 10.48mpg
But i don't own a 6.0L or a 2500HD, i own a 1500 ext cab 4x4 5.3.
I do believe the 4cylynder fuel mileage...I had a jeep as well (92) and got around 15-16 with it.. never did much highway though
my neighbor has a 4.0L grand cherokee and he gets about 13-14 he claims.

A guy I worked with drove Mazda "B" series pick-ups for the past 20 years. The other day he rolls up in a '07 Silverado crew cab. He says it gets far better mileage than the Mazda ever did.
Mark '01 Blazer LT
Mark E. Bye wrote:

Bet that was the worst 20 years of his life
actually before they converted their bseries to Fords, they were as good as toyotas