Portable Air Compressor

If you do any real off road driving in sand eventually you will get stuck. I know I have lots of times over the years when hunting, fishing, running
trap lines, and sometimes just going for a drive.
One of the easiest ways to get unstuck in sand is to break out the old farm jack, lift the vehicle, fill in the holes, and flatten (drop down to about 8 PSI) all your tires. Doesn't always work, but when it doesn't you are in real trouble. Sometimes it works in mud too, but it's hard to control with four flats in mud.
Anyway, I have had 4 or 5 different 12 volt air compressors and none of them have done a decent job of refilling 4 flat tires when I get back to hard ground. Does anybody know of a GOOD compact air compressor I can carry in my truck? I don't mind paying a little more, but throwing a Honda Powered Roll-Aire or Sanborn compressor in the back of the truck is a little more than I can justify.
Something that can fill a truck tire in a reasonable amount of time and doesn't burn up or blow a fuse if you try to fill 4 of them. I'm not thinking of even being able to fill them to full pressure. Just 30-35 pounds so I can safely drive to someplace with air and finish filling them to road pressure.
Way back when I was a kid some of the farmers used to have an engine driven compressor under the hood that was engaged with an electric clutch like an an air conditioner compressor, but there just isn't a lot of room under the hood on a modern truck much less a place to put one more belt.
That reminds me. After today's fishing adventure I need to remember to throw my farm jack and my shovel in the truck. LOL.
Bob La Londe http://www.YumaBassMan.com

As an avid bass fisherman I was recently introduced to surf fishing by a dear friend. We generally fish Hatteras Island NC, usually for Blues & Drum. We often have to drives miles in the soft sand beach to reach productive holes. I have found that 15-20 psi works best for my GMC Yukon. 8 psi seems like overkill, but your conditions may be different.
15 psi will still allow you to drive on pavement for a short distance, making allowances for speed & distance. On hatteras Island there are many stores & bait shops providing free air.
As to your need for a compressor , almost all of the 12 volt portable compressors are of the diaphram type compressor. These will buid to a reletivly high pressure but cannot deliver the volume you need for a quick refill.
A standard diving cylinder filled to 2000 psi and fitted with an adapter (all off the shelf accessories) should top up your tires quickly & safely as long as you monitor the tire pressures during the refill.
Other wise I'm afraid you are out of luck unless you want to carry a large gas powered contractors compressor with you.
Regards, JR

Basically I just drop that low if I am already stuck. If I know I'll be getting into sugar sand, and plan ahead I'll drop them down to 10-12 before hand. Also, I run a fairly stiff sidewall tire since its my 4x4 is a 3/4 ton crew that I actually use for work.

Sounds about right.

7 miles to air last night.

Looks like HF might have one. 1.4 CFM at 40 PSI. Sounds like a 3-5 minute refill to safe road pressure if not full pressure.

I was thinking maybe a CO2 bottle since a lot of contractors use them for shooting a mouse and string through a conduit, and I could just put it down as a tool expense for my business and get dual use out of it.

Yeah, I would have to rule that one out. Costs too much for as often as I would use it either for work or for off roading. For work when I need a compressor I just bring my roll around and my generator. Both combined cost less than most gas powered compressors. Unfortunately those are things I would not want to leave in the back of my truck while I am traipsing through to brush to a fishing hole.
You gave me some good ideas. Thank you.
Bob La Londe
http://www.YumaBassMan.com
On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:30:26 -0700, "Bob La Londe"

Of the half-dozen or so 13.8vDC air compressors I've had for my pickup, none of them worked when needed. Now I carry a bicycle tire pump that has a pressure gauge on it, and it gets my tired to 20 PSI or so after a bit of hard work on my part. I also carry four 2x12 pine planks six feet long, in case I need to drive out of a sand pit: these blanks also made a four-foot-wide bed that I sleep on.

--
http://desertphile.org