power chip for the 6.5 liter diesel?

I am curious about the power chips for the 6.5 turbo diesel engine. Do these chips actually increase power? Do they also improve mileage? A curious mind would like to know.

Thanks

Danny

Reply to
nowonder

Many things that improve "power" do not increase mileage. The cheap and easy way to improve power for this motor is to adjust the amount of fuel per stroke delivered by the fuel injection pump which is done by changing the resistor in the fuel solenoid driver connector socket. A chip will do some things like change the shift points on your transmission, increase your rev limiter, change when your turbo dump valve opens and closes, etc. but to get real power from this motor is going to take more than just a chip alone.

To make this motor a real performer you will need to spend some serious money. Personally, I would recommend (aside from the chip) an intercooler, marine grade fuel injectors, lower compression pistons, the later style water pump with dual thermostats and crossover, and an FSD cooler with at least a #9 resistor in the FSD connector socket (a #15 would even be better). At that point you should start to worry about beefing up your transmission.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race