Power consumption on 91 GMC 4x4

I am new to this forum. I hope I get alot of help here and I will input as much as I know.
I have an intermitting problem with my starter. Sometimes my truck does not
want to start. The starter is draining power from the battery. The HEI starting system needs all the power it can from the battery in order to start. Sometimes the starter is draining 4-7 volts from the battery. If I disconnect the ground wire from the ground block on the firewall it is alright. Is this wire a fuseable link from the starter? I installed a new pos wire from the battery to the starter. This wire was corroded bad.
Thanks to all that respond. Darryl
Darryl are you actually a Newf? -DaNewf

not
Yup. Living on the West Coast of our great province.
You?
From the east coast, Eastport area. Living in New Brunswick. Been here for 5 years.