Power Inverter

Just bought an ADC400 power inverter. It plugs in to the cigarette lighter and permits two appliances to be plugged in. Problem is I can keep it tight enough in the cigarette lighter socket to keep running
so that I can plug in PS2 and screen. The idea on my cross country trip was to keep the kids busy at night while I drove. Daytime, they can see the country side change and at night watch DVDs or play videos.
The appliances are well within the 400 watt capability of the inverter and its two AC electrical outlet sockets.
Also there are two additional cigarette-lighter-like outlets next to the cigarette lighter. I can't seem to get any indication of power there. How can I maintain the contact for more than a few seconds in the cigarette lighter outlet? Alternatives?
If push comes to shove (no pun intended), I guess I'll have to hard wire to battery on 2001 Avalanche.
Anyone have some useful thoughts or comments! _____________
Tippy
Add pictures here
✖
I also have a power inverter and had a problem with the plug to the cigarette lighter coming loose. My solution was to go to Radio Shack® and buy a replacement plug that fit more snugly. I'm sorry that I don't remember the catalog number, but it came already pre-wired and all I had to do was trim the other end to fit the inverter.
Hope this helps, Rich
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once"
Add pictures here
✖
The PS2 I believe runs about 40 watts, do you have the RSE if so there is no need for the 400 watts. I have the 75 Watt inverter that has no cord, just plugs right in, but it goes in real tight. I also have an avalanche.

Add pictures here
✖

I need the larger watt inverter to use two AC appliances: the PS2 and the portable intec Screen. Although the wattage is far more than I need for the PS2 and screen, you never know when you might want to run a TV or a refrigerator--- or some other appliance. I did see a model like yours, perhaps the same, at Radio Shack. I got my inverter at Circuit City.
For whatever reason, it now works fine. I re-read the Avalanche booklet and tried the accessory sockets. Apparently, they are designed differently than the cigarette lighter. Works fine--I guess I wasn't pushing the plug in far enough to get the current draw. The lighter socket was not the proper fit, but the other two sockets are fine. So, now the inverter works fine-- it has a small fan it for cooling and alarms and has protectors for surge and low voltage as well as alarms. _____________
Tippy
Add pictures here
✖
Just a quick observation, in every vehicle I've ever owned or worked on the cigarette lighter has had it's own fuse, generally 20 amp.
I hope this helps. Rich
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once"
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:29:04 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

inverter even has its own fuse and a small fan. _____________
Tippy
Add pictures here
✖
You don't need an inverter for the play station, just a 12vdc adaptor. About 6 bucks at radio shack. A nine inch color CRT at 12vdc is about 5A or so. You don't need the inverter for that, either.

Add pictures here
✖
Don't quite get what you mean, a 12Volt adapter for a 12Volt system, does PS2 run on 12Volt dc, if so then I would think that you would just need the Cig lighter to the proper input to PS2. I know I looked into nintendo once and it ran on some wierd voltage and was not easy to hook up to, like 4.5V and a special plug not available anywhere. Does PS2 have a 12VDC input jack which can be plugged into?

Add pictures here
✖
Yes the PS2 runs off of 12vdc, you need a cable that fits the jack, the same one that you use with the 110v, to plug into the PS2.
I would keep the inverter and run a fused wire to an area close to the PS2 and TV and ground it to the chassis from there.
Just my two cents worth

Add pictures here
✖

Always a concern but I got it covered. see other response for details. _____________
Tippy
Add pictures here
✖
muchos agreed!!! even tho the circuit is fused at 20 or 25 amps, there are multiple circuits drawing from the panel...the wires are 18 or 20 ga, and not sufficient to run any sort of power.
have a good shop install a separately fused accessory plug closer to the back using 12 ga. power wire. Our shop does this frequently for just this case. I've got one guy with a 1000 watt inverter that plays with a circular saw NO PROBLEMO....
its all in the wire gauge :)
Hamilton Audio Car Audio, Security and Performance

Add pictures here
✖