Power Steering Problem with 87 C30

Page 2 of 2
A. Smith wrote:

    A new belt will not make the wheels turn any further with the engine off. Charles
Charles Bendig wrote:

Your are not following the post properly and have the wrong idea here. Go back and read it all and you will see what I mean
--

-----------------
www.thesnoman.com
TheSnoMan wrote:

    The fact that the steering wheel will only turn 180 degrees from center in either direction with the engine off suggests a steering componate failure. All modern GM Hydralic/Power Steering Racks and Gear boxes are hydralic/power Over Mechanical. Which means with no input from a boost device, they will still operate, in full range, just with Much greater effort. It does not matter if the vehicle is equiped with Hydra-boost or not.
    Let me simplify this for you. 180 degrees either way from 12 o'clock on the steering wheel (known as center) would be one turn lock to lock. Lock to Lock should be atleast 3 to 3&1/2 turns. That indacates a Bind, broken steering componate not related to the boost device, or a steering gear box issue.
    The pump maybe toast, as well as the belt. Yet installing a new belt at this point is akin to changing a bad starter on a seized engine. Hydra-boost pumps will whine badly if the steering is frozen while the pump is trying to apply boost. Same as with any GM/Saginaw powersteering pump if you hold your wheel at lock and increase engine speed above idle. Charles
Charles Bendig wrote:

Not really because when power is off, the further you turn it, the harder it gets to turn it wwen vehicle is not moving. I have seen lose/bad belt cause this before because GM varible ratio power steering take a LOT of boost at low speeds.
--

www.thesnoman.com

Now,
left
A. Smith wrote:

I tend to think tha the belt make be loose because it squeals when brakes are applied too. It needs to be pretty snug. A new belt might help to as the old one may be slick from use.
--

www.thesnoman.com