Professional advice needed removing pitman arm

Page 2 of 2
pde_on snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lonely G-Monkey) wrote:
[snip]

[snip]
Finally you are able to realize that there is more to the definition of professional than a mere paycheck.
Amazing...
Add pictures here
βœ–

Yes, of course dear.
~KJ~
Add pictures here
βœ–

done.
on
before
unless
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hi!

That's a mighty good point there Doc! ...even if you were just kidding around...
Now I don't argue with KJ's definition of "professional" and how being paid legally makes you a professional, but I suspect that (as usual) the reality of things is just different than the book definition.
Just another one of my $0.02.
William The Guesser -- guessing he'd be a rich guy if he kept all those $0.02 to himself!
Add pictures here
βœ–
. . . .
Getting paid makes you a professional.... $0.02 What's your point? A friend paid me to help him fix his roof once, does that make me a professional roofer? ========= ========= Oct 29, 2003, 4:13am (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@noway.com (Doc)                                                                                 Bob What if you get paid in beer? I work on folks' vehicles all the time and the price is always "one case of Rolling Rock and one can of Cope"....................some of the bigger jobs I add in a pizza and wings...................... And all this time I just thought I was doing them favors when I'm really a perfeshunal!
Doc =========== =========== SON........
the number of cars and trucks I've painted fer jest a bottle of Crown Royal.......
oh.......dem wuz duh days.
marsh ~not single inny moe~ ====== ======
Add pictures here
βœ–
Hey Doc another Green drinker huh. Tried the new Green Light yet. It's not bad. Locally it runs 7.99 a 12 for bottles.. I keep the shop fridge stocked with at least four cases of each...
--
Steve Williams

""Doc"" < snipped-for-privacy@noway.com> wrote in message
βœ–

Just as the definition says. :-)
~KJ~
Add pictures here
βœ–
"KJ" wrote

Let's put it this way....."more" professional then the original poster "Dan". A new steering box will be an expensive lesson.
Ian
Add pictures here
βœ–

Smash, grab, and run like hell!
KJ's 5 finger discount method of repair
(where he'd find a steering box to steal, who knows) Go buy something cheap ($2 headlight frame) or something like that from a junk yard. Mine doesn't really check whats in your hands when you pull it.... Drop the steering box in your truck and pay for the bracket....
Although.... they do have LARGE fork lifts......
Anyone here ever worked in a boneyard? I always feel so bad for the ppl working there..... I can't imagine that they get paid enough, especially in the winter!?
Add pictures here
βœ–
. . . . Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 27, 2003, 10:40pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dan)
Ok so I beat on it last week with a pickle fork. What's done is done. Obviously I'm not going to replace my steering gear because someone on the internet says it may be damaged. What tests are there to determine if there is damage and to what extent? I've learned my lesson, but just so everyone knows -- last week before pounding on it I went to all the rental places and parts places in town looking for a pitman arm puller with a 1.25" opening (what is required). I rented 4 or 5 of them and none of them fit. I go by the book unless all else fails, so the pickle fork was a last resort.
Thanks for the help and patience, Dan ================== Run it on over here to the shop and I'll change it out for you for $40.
It'll take all of 10 minutes.
or you could buy the tool from GM or Snap-On for a bit more......that way you would have it the next time you needed it.
Scrib Abell ~does not gaurantee that he can get the nut back on those custom hammered threads~ ~:~
Add pictures here
βœ–
i use a pickle fork most every day and never had a problem. this is one of my best tools to be honest so sometimes its just a matter of opinion.

I've
get
Add pictures here
βœ–

one of

opinion.
[snip]
I watched a guy use one of these on one of my rigs to get the idler arm off, only he used an air hammer with hit. Had it the whole job done in about 10 minutes. I about shit my pants reading this thread, but then I remembered, I don't have that rig anymore.
Hatt
βœ–

=======================The idler is a different story. Its not attached directly to anything that has bearings and gears.
βœ–
Re: Professional advice needed removing pitman arm Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Nov 1, 2003, 11:04pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@excite.com (Tom Levigne) wrote in......
i use a pickle fork most every day and never had a problem.
this is one of my best tools to be honest so..........
" sometimes its just a matter of opinion."
========= =========
or experience.
so.....You remove pitman arms everyday with a pickle fork???
you're a liar.
Marsh Monster ~:~
Add pictures here
βœ–
I'm going to tell ya how to do it, just promise not to hit me with a hammer and pickle fork !! lol:) Take the steering shaft off,it's onlt 1 11mm bolt and pull it off by hand... next pry up on the fender to allow access to all 3 bolts... a prybear here works wonders...next you loosen all 3 bolts and remove 2 of them ... by doing this you can usually tilt the box to allow access with a pitman arm puller to remove the pitman arm.You may have to remove all 3 but do not remove the lines...as far as the little seal that makes putting the puller on hard , simply use a small screwdriver and work the seal up into the box... it's just a dust seal and wil fall back down when you are done... once it's pulled off, put the new one one, and voila you're done..Don't forget to massage the innner fender back down to hide the bolts.... Bobo

pickle
Add pictures here
βœ–
Professional advice needed removing pitman arm Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 27, 2003, 5:58pm (CST+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Dan) I'm removing the pitman arm on a 1988 Chevy 1/2 ton, 4X4, 5.0 liter. I've removed the rod side but I can't get it off the steering box. I can't get a puller on it because the frame is right in the way. I pounded and pounded on a pickle fork to no avail. Do I have to remove the steering box? If so, it looks like I have to remove the fender too, right? Is there any harm in using a pickle fork? I'm thinking of tapering the pickle fork a bit to get more friction and leverage. Thanks for your help! Dan
You have to remove the 3 bolts that hold the gearbox to the frame.....By doing this you will be able to lift it up enough to get the puller on it...You probly didnt screw up your gear box..Just dont beat on it anymore...Dont need to remove the fender....you can beat and beat and beat but the thing wount come off with a fork...GOT TO HAVE A PULLER... Steve C
Add pictures here
βœ–