project scottsdale update

For Doc and others that are familiar with "project scottsdale" i have made some more upgrades to the motor worth mentioning.

  1. Recurved the distributor using 10 degree vacuum advance canister available from ac delco and moroso curve kit using light springs.
10 degrees initial, 10 degrees ported vacuum and 15 degrees mechanical giving the engine 35 degrees total advance at 3000 rpm +.

  1. 1" tapered spacer designed specifically for engines using the Edelbrock performer rpm air-gap manifold and square-bore carb, high velocity heads part # ST4150-4, 0.oo

  2. Removed engine driven cooling fan and installed a proform 16" electric cooling fan with thermal snap switch.

The engine responded way better than expected with a lot more power and a smoother more linear power delivery. The Dart Iron Eagle heads with their 180cc intake runners will support

500hp and are begging for more cam duration @.050" valve lift. I am sold on the benefits of roller tappet cams and the new beehive valve springs that Comp makes so the next step is a comp Xtreme roller grind,probably the "XR282HR" which is a dual-pattern hydraulic with 230/236 duration @.050", 288/294 advertised duration, .510/.520" lift @ valve, 110 degree lobe seperation angle and a 2200-5800 rpm powerband. A Hughes 2000 rpm stall converter will replace the stock unit, and a Proform 750 double-pumper will replace the Edelbrock 600 that currently lives a-top "Danger Mouse". I'm confident the future mods will help the engine exceed my original goal of 450hp and yet be comfortably streetable.

-- Mad Dog

79 K10 4x4 "slightly modified"
Reply to
Mad Dog