Proper gauge operation with key off/ign off - 95 OBD2 4.3L Vortec W series

Good morning,

Can someone verify this for me next time you cut the ignition in your 95??

Here it is... >If the ignition is disabled (key off/engine off) what is the proper gauge >operation? >In other words, is it normal for the gauges to behave like this??: >1) coolant temp gauge stays put at last read temp >2) tach falls VERY slowly >The reason I ask is that I suspect I may have a bad or shorted ECU. At >first I thought perhaps my new ignition wires might be bleeding a little and >inducing the tach wire or similar. Now I am thinking that the problem may >be more widespread. >Do you know if the gauges are supposed to 'zero' quickly once power has been >cut to the IGN circuit? Most vehicles I have owned behave that way but I >wasn't sure in this case as I may be being paranoid... >Thanks and take care, >Andrew.
Reply to
AWN

Can someone verify this for me next time you cut the ignition in your 95??

Reply to
Shep

Can someone verify this for me next time you cut the ignition in your 95??

Reply to
Shep

Totally normal. The gauges are electronic and only the tach and speedo have a spring to return them to 0. The rest just stop where they are when the juice is cut off. Once the vehicle cools down you should be able to turn the key on and the gauges (except the voltmeter) will drop to 0.

Reply to
Steve W.

Sorry ­ It thought that all 4.3W series would be the same. It¹s a 95 Jimmy SLT 4x4. Thanks. Andrew.

in article 1178837722 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net, Shep at snipped-for-privacy@capital.net wrote on 5/10/07 6:53 PM:

Reply to
AWN

Thanks Shep! No problem on the header ­ I should have been more specific in the message itself. Andrew.

in article 1178837955 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net, Shep at snipped-for-privacy@capital.net wrote on 5/10/07 6:57 PM:

Reply to
AWN