Pros/Cons Alternate Thermostat

What are the pros and cons of higher or lower temp thermostats? About to change out the head gaskets and might as well put in a new thermostat while I'm at it.

Mike D.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Stay with the recommended temperature thermostat (195?). It will reduce engine wear compared to a lower temp thermostat and have better economy. Watch out for cheap ones, they don't open gracefully and oscillate. Go with a Stant Super Stat, these work better than the standard ones.

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Yeah, I hate to be a WebTV "Meee toooo" clown, but I agree with this advice. If you run the engine at a different temperature than designed, your emissions computer will probably compensate for the different temperature but it is still a bad idea. Only if your radiator is gummed up will you want to remove the thermostat completely. Running colder or hotter than designed is a bad idea all arounjd.

-- "I said that I believe in GOOD SCIENCE, not scientific THEORIES made up by the antichrist. In order for one creature to EVOLVE into another, the DNA has to change. How do you explain that?" -- snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
AGWFacts