Pulling 5th wheel with 2000 GMC-comments

I am going to occasionally pull 5th wheel trailer, (around 5000 lb), with my 2000 GMC Sierra 4x4, 4.8l and 3.53 gears. As far as I know this truck has 6400 lbs GVWR and 6500 lbs for a maximum
trailer weight. I am thinking about adding transmission oil cooler and perhaps transmission oil temperature gauge. Any recommendation on the type and size of the oil cooler and temperature gauge? Would too big of trany oil cooler be a problem running empty in cold weather?, after all I live in Canada. Any thoughts on that?
Ziggie
Hello Ziggie,
Get the biggest you can fit properly into the space available and install a transmission oil cooler thermostat (PermaCool ~$45, Mocal ~ $90, etc.) -- this way, when you need maximum cooling, you're not short-changed, and when it's cold, the thermostat opens up only as needed.
If your rig does not have an engine oil cooler, you might consider installing a similar setup (oil cooler/thermostat), too.
Good luck, Franko