Purchasing a DANA 60 rear axle.

Dearest Group, I am considering purchasing a DANA 60 rear axle from a private party. I have not seen the axle yet, it is in the next state over. Here is what I was
able to find out about the axle;
1: 100K plus 2: Open carrier 3: 3.55 gears (if he recalls correctly) 4: No drums (but he thinks the can find them or someone who will have some) 5: Reason being sold; basically has a 1998 Chevy and a banshee that he is pouring his money into, this was for a K5 that he got rid of (as is the sheet metal that I am picking up).
Asking price: $100
Bad things; 1: 100K plus 2: Open carrier 3: 3.55 gears (if he recalls correctly) 4: No drums (but he thinks the can find them or someone who will have some)
My thought is however since it won't be going right under the truck that it would be a perfect core. I could go in & freshen up seals/bearings/what not, drop some kind of a locker in there with like 4.56 gears and do a disk conversion. That should cover 1-4???
Should I haggle or is this a good deal? Sounds like it's a really good price to me, but I also don't deal with these things daily.
GMC Gremlin
yep...good price for the core.

Hey Gremlin here's my thoughts, I agree with your 1-4 points and will add these for your consideration. If he was'nt really using it and it was just laying around collecting spider webs I would offer him $75.00 - $80.00 for it. After all, you are one state away. Another thought is how much does your local junk yard ask for the same part? Work your deal from there. My drag racing mentor once told me, "When you make an offer for that old Nova or Mustang sitting around rusting and taking up space, make your offer based on what it's worth to them, not what it is worth to you." Just a thought. NHRA
Alright, work that $25.00 in as gas money.
GMC Gremlin

What lug pattern is it? 5-6-8? Just asking cause I don't ever recall hearing about a factory D60 rear in any K5. Are you 8 lugged now why not get a 14boltFF, thoes are dirt cheap around here. Like $50 at the local wreckers (thats Canadian dollars) Personally I wouldn't drive across the city for a non-complete D60 rear. A D70 rear maybe. I've got 2 14bolts in the back yard right now. Dime a dozen.

Not factory, but it was slated for a K5

IIRC they have a larger pumpkin = less ground clearance.

Never heard of them.

Close to southern NH?
GMC Gremlin

I don't know what IIRC means but...... You're looking at it all wrong. {larger pumpkin = stronger} Shave the 14bolt pumpkin if you really want, nets you about 1 1/2". For strength, by God if you've broken a 14boltFF you've done something VERY WRONG.

Never heard of a D70? Hmmm. Dana Corp's strength equvalent to the Corp14boltFF. 1.5" shafts. But 14bolt has the extra pinion bearing.

NH? New Hampshire? Not even close, well I'm not even sure where that is. I'm southern Alberta near the Rockies.

Another plus for the 14bolt is, readily availiable and easy to find disk brake convertion kits or parts. And a Detroit locker is cheap, you have to have an open carrier to start with (not the gov-lock carrier) The crosspins are different.

A Dana 60 is a B*TCH to work on. Changing bearings is no "walk in the park." I'm with the guy that suggested a 14 bolt or even the 9 1/2" axle. If the Dana is a full floater, most are, and the hubs and drums are gone, I'd walk away from it.
Al