puter chips

Whats a good company to order a custom chip?

Reply to
sidewinder

None. They're all garbage, and completely useless on a stock engine. If you changed the cam, compression or heads, a new chip would be necessary, but on a stock motor they're just another way to lighten your wallet and make you think you're going faster.

Think of it this way, if there was a better fuel/spark map for any given vehicle, don't you think the manufacturer would have found it during the years of testing on the powerplant before it was offered to the general public?

My $0.02.

Doc

Reply to
"Doc"

If you're doing other mods, Ed Wright at

He burned one for me when I dropped a 350HO crate engine into my '87 TBI truck.

Reply to
Hoover87

I am just looking at all my choices before I decide on spending an assload on a fuel injection system. I have a tbi unit from the 350 and 454 and I am looking at ways of just giving them a what the hell try on my 400. I know the 350 won't have enough fuel flow to keep her happy so I am thinking about putting the tbi unit from the 454 on her and seeing what she will do. The only thing is I don't have the puters for them. I traded them off for something awhile back and still can't remember why. I am going to probably drop on either the edelbrock or holley mpefi system sooner or later but figured before I had to deal with the major wiring nightmare I would play with the ones I have. As long as I have the truck back on the road by bow season in August I don't care. But any ideas would really help.

Reply to
sidewinder

I would agree if you're trying to keep it EPA legal. As an aside, you don't even roll your new Harley out the dealer's door without already having the "offroad" chip installed.... or better yet, a Power Commander.

Reply to
Spike13

i gotta agree w/doc on this one. first time for everything LOL! Re: puter chips Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Wed, Feb 25, 2004, 1:21am (EST+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Spike13) Think of it this way, if there was a better fuel/spark map for any given vehicle, don't you think the manufacturer would have found it during the years of testing on the powerplant before it was offered to the general public? My $0.02. Doc I would agree if you're trying to keep it EPA legal. As an aside, you don't even roll your new Harley out the dealer's door without already having the "offroad" chip installed.... or better yet, a Power Commander.

Reply to
pete carb