Quality is important

Page 2 of 2

oil
Quit whining like a little girl. An air-headed mechanic forgot to put the oil fill cap back on. Big deal. If anything got in there it would have grenaded by now. What do you expect them to do, replace the goddamn truck because you drove without an oil filler cap for 300 miles?
Doc

anybody
rarely
the oil

idea? The

with 2

the
With
are not

change the

will now

Engine and

minute I

put the

have
truck
I think he probably just expects them to acknowledge they screwed up. And yes, "they" screwed up. The dealer who hired the egg head, and the egg head himself. Doesn't need explaining or made excuses for. Period.
Hatt

anybody
rarely
No, I don't think they do care. In fact I know they don't.

the oil

Typical experience.

I don't know but check all bolts, particularly the oil pan drain, and look to see if they greased the idler arm. I'd bet they didn't.

with 2

the
With
are not

the oil

There you go. From now on if you want safety, change it yourself. I do. No dealer will touch my rig again. Ever.

will now

They especially don't care about this, thats why they are designed that way. And I don't care what anyone says about "needing to keep customers." They need to keep money more, and they don't think beyond the end of their fat noses.

Engine and

minute I

You wasted your time. Go in person and waste 4 more hours, or forget it. I wrote to GM in Detroit once, many years ago. After my second engine in less than 12,000 through valve through a piston. Local Dealer wasn't going to fix it again, they didn't care that I'd bought it new, and the warranty wasn't up yet. Thats why I wrote Detroit. They called the dealer and said, "we have sent you another engine," fix that man's car. It was quicker than the dealer could say no. I doubt that would work these days though. It was in 1974.
Hatt

I guess you have surveyed EVERY customer of EVERY dealer to get that "typical" rating.

It may NOT have a grease fitting. Might be a sealed unit.

If "something" got in the engine it would be showing symptoms by now. AND IT DOES RUN WITH POSITIVE PRESSURE in the engine, just like 90 percent of the engines out there, ever heard of a Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve, Care to guess what it does???

Good for you, Some people don't have irrational feelings like you...

I doubt you will ever get the true service live out of the engine, you will trade it in LONG before it hit's the 200-250,000 mile mark, which is about a normal number for a small block..

The dealers DO care about keeping GOOD customers, however they also try to LOSE the ones with irrational demands...

THE LEAKS are checked before and after the service, The cap might have been loose on the engine or it could have been like the one on a Caravan I had, it broke and fell off on it's own.

Yep another customer in the TOSS pile...

Yeah, I've heard of it, and it's function is to vent that 'positive pressure', sucking it out and making a negative pressure so as to draw in fresh, filtered air via the breather to prevent the accumulation of combustion gasses in the crankcase which form acidic deposits in oil.....or does your PCV Valve blow? ;-)
Jeremy
Guess you never noticed the spring and valve that regulates the pressure????? what do you think that rattle is???? It sets the amount of vacuum needed to open the valve as well as how much pressure is in the case at the same time.
Steve

runs
me
OIL.
you
change
now.
in
oil.....or

. snipped-for-privacy@home.org (SteveW.)
Guess you never noticed the spring and valve that regulates the pressure?????
What do you think that rattle is????
It sets the amount of vacuum needed to open the valve as well as how much pressure is in the case at the same time.
Steve ========= ========= No it does not!
Dammitt... Steve, I bought you those books to read......not to put on the chair so you could reach the keyboard.
scrib ~takes the keys to the roll-back from steve.... yer on restriction again~ ===== =====

Does
is
found
Of course I have, how else?

and
OK, but on which rig are you talking about?

runs
me
OIL.
you
change
now.
you...
Alright, I'll give you that much.

you
which
Well you are talking to the wrong guy now, but I hardly expect to get that service life, the truck will be rusted to a mere shell by that time.

customers."
of
try
Very well put, a good customer with a fat, fat wallet. he he. Especially commercial customers who don't pay for their trucks anyway.

have
Caravan
forget
engine
going
have
dealer
He he. I thought you were going to put away the beer tonight?
Hatt
Hmmmm. If this august group does not know for sure if the crankcase on a 2003 is positive or negative pressure, who would know? The customer like me? I don't think so. Does the term "factory trained" mean anything? How about "Certified ..."
This dealer was so close it is a shame I must go elsewhere for warranty or service.

How
As has already been mentioned, the crankcase is positively pressurized by nature. When it gets to a certain point, the PCV opens up and the excess pressure is bled off.
Couldn't tell you how many pounds, but I'd guess it was a low number, and 2 doesn't sound too low. Keeping it low or close to vacuum ensures good ring seal and other assorted functions.
Sam
======== Re: Quality is important Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Mon, Oct 13, 2003, 9:00am (CDT+1) From: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jbew3)
Hmmmm. If this august group does not know for sure if the crankcase on a 2003 is positive or negative pressure, who would know? The customer like me? I don't think so. Does the term "factory trained" mean anything? How about "Certified ..."
This dealer was so close it is a shame I must go elsewhere for warranty or service. ================Yeah......that sucks......for YOU.
If you raised the stinch that it sounds like you did........you wouldn't be welcomed back there anyways.
If the truth was known...... I bet he even chewed the poor slob of a mechanic...a new one rite there in front of you. He probly fired him on the spot. He probly kick em in the balls fer yuh....jest fer good measure. I bet the service dude even took the time to stop the whole damn work process.......called all the other piss poor mechs over.....and made them watch the poor slob "what wuz coming to him". The service dude probly ripped his Mr Goodwrench patch off his arm......rite there in front of you and the whole damn shop. I bet he took his 4 ft. pry bar and busted the handle off in front of the whole shop....then pointed at the entrance and told him to leave!!!!!!!
yeah rite........
you raised hell.......embarrased yourself....
and the tech got a pay raise and big arse laugh with the rest of the guys after you walked out.
and now......poor you gotta go somewhere else to get shoddy work done.
git a life......it was a freek'n oil cap, and everybody makes mistakes bud....... EXCEPT YOU....I'm sure you never made a single one.
marsh monster ~:~has worked on automobiles for over 27 years and STILL MAKES MISTAKES~:~
I love guys like MM. They know everything. Most of it wrong.
Let's start straightening the spaghetti.
1. The guy who did the deed was watching the Maryland game, I expect. It was Saturday. 2. The Service Advisor, when he took the truck, said "don't worry Mr. xx, I'll have the mechanics check out the engine and make sure there was no damage." Some Saturday Service Advisors are C-. 3. I am a retired Airframe and Powerplant Mechanic with an Inspection Authorization. I don't think I am the brightest bulb re: new autos, but I think I know a thing or two. Do I think the mechanic needs a kick in the ass, yes. The whole maintenance department needs a good talking to. Maybe my standards are a little high, but considering you don't pull over to the side of the road when I screw up, then, maybe not. 4. I pay others because I made enough money in my life time to afford it. When I don't get what I pay for I get p*ssed. 5. Embarrassed myself, hardly. How about you? 6. If you are still making mistakes after 27 years maybe you ought to try something easier!!!!

expect.
worry Mr.

was no

Inspection
but I

in the

I think you are right about that. Trouble is, their management is leaderless, and greedy, so what good would it do? They don't set examples for good work, in fact its just the opposite. The poor techs that actually do the work get kicked around all day by other incompetents that are in charge. Equals one thing, morale problems and lots of fuckups.
Maybe

to the

afford
Amen.
Nope, not me.

ought to

Well, before getting all bent out of shape guys, he said, "maybe." I don't think anyone is perfect, and those who think they don't make mistakes probably make the most mistakes. I was a professional, for a long time, and I always made mistakes. Not always, I mean often, even after 20 years at the trade. I always fixed them too, and, fixed a lot of other employees fuck ups that I had absolutely nothing to do with me, except work at the same place, and I COULD fix them. I didn't get paid any more for it. I learned to pay myself by realizing I'm probably going to be the only one who ever really appreciates what I do. And, you can make other people rich all day long, and they still don't give a shit about ya.
Hatt
[snip]
"Jbew3" wrote

Maybe
I'd be interested to know if you ever had to work under the flat rate system while you were active as an Airframe and Powerplant Technician?

Please!! Even after a long time in the trade, I still make mistakes. Everybody makes mistakes, at least Marsh is honest enough to admit it. The people that can't admit it are deluding themselves.
Ian
======= ======= marsh monster slapped "the pissed off dude" across the face.....and gave him a chewing out with........
marsh monster ~:~has worked on automobiles for over 27 years and STILL MAKES MISTAKES~:~ ===== ===== snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Jbew3) threw rocks at marsh monster on the playground...and started stomping his feet and screaming.....
[...]
Jbew ======= ======= marsh monster picked up a big freek'n stick and went running at Jbewhisnoseonhimself........ and threating him with......
1) that's a big part of yer prob....what you expect and what is factual is deluding yer brain cells and fogging yer thoughts.
2) I would'uh slapped the cap on fer yuh and told yuh to git a life.
3) well ....allrighty thennn....that explains alot. Yer an expector....not a tech. And I agree......yer not the brightest bulb..... when you fk up....the customer doesn't git to bitch and moan and groan.....he fall's out the sky and dies.....what a dip weed fer even admitting that. You should go back and erase that one.
4)yeah....well there's a lot of pissed off people out there because there families died in air plane crashes......how many of those planes did you OR SOMEONE YOU TRAINED, inspect? You don't even consider it do you? No not you. Not you. NOT YOU! You didn't inspect, or oversee the training of the inspectors, or oversee the asignment of the inspection.... for ANY plane that ever fell out of the sky..... EVER .....did you?
you're a puke.
maybe you need to go back and check on all those plane crashe's and see if ever, once, maybe,.....you inspected even one of them at any time......and if maybe....you could have SAVED A LIFE!!
you're a puke.
5) I fart in public....does that count?
6) What would you suggest....AIR FRAME INSPECTOR???? LMFAO....... Where my customers couldn't bitch if I made a slight mistake?
someone poke this guy fer me.....
marsh monster ~:~lives in the real world~:~ ===== ====
Actually, if an aircraft that he worked on we involved in some type of an incident where maintenance may have had role to play he would definitely know about it - FAA and NTSB would probably investigate pretty much everything he ever did. Same thing if he signed off the inspection. And if someone that he administered a practical to screwed something up even if it was years down the road pretty much the same thing again.
If one of his "customers" had a problem with something he did just the suggestion would literally make a federal case out of it. Particularly leaving the oil cap off. You know, the kind of stuff Jiffy Lube is supposed to do, not a dealer. That's not a mistake, that is a lack of attention to detail, and pretty much inexcusable.
What do you think went through the guys head when at the end of the day he had an oil cap left over?
[...]
i believe that gm really does care, it's the dealers who don't give a crap...all they want is the sale and your money. as with hatt, i had an overheating problem with my brand new 4x in '79, dealer refused to fix it, said that i abused and overused the truck too much (damn thing was just a month old). i wrote to gm about the problem and about a month later i received a letter from both gm and the dealer to bring my truck in for repair...but alas, it was too late...i can't wait around for this type of b.s. so after the dealer's refusal i went and tore the engine apart, ported and matched the cooling system, threw the fan shroud and thermostat away. worked real good ever after. never bought a new car after that...figured if i have to fix up a new car, i might as well save my money with a used car and fix whatever problems come up myself.
Wow! I was wondering where all you guys were all summer. Heres a different topic completely. I have '88 S-10 Blazer 190000 with a lot of new parts, it runs okay and is dependable with one exception, every now and again the fuel pump won't run unless I actually jump it with 12 volts, I have long ago cut an acess door in the rear cargo area to lessen the hassle, I replaced the pump twice before I decided to try and "run" the pump directly . After I run voltage direct it will be okay for about 300-600 miles(I guess) then it happens again, I have a bad speedometer (I think it's bad at the dash) and in this truck the VSS is activated at the speedo head, and code 24 is set almost every time I drive over 15 miles or so, Do any of you people have any ideas on this? By the way, I have it down to a science now when I have to trigger the pump .I found that I can use a 12 volt battery from my DeWalt screw gun.