Question about aftermarket cooling fasteners

Hi everyone, I just installed a transmission cooler a few weeks back. Now the tanks on my radiator have cracked. My question is:
Does anyone know of anywhere you can buy the fasteners that are sort of like
a zip tie?
They push thru the radiator core and then you slide on a keeper on the other side. I have not seen these anywhere else but in the tranny cooler kit that I bought. I would like to use the same type of fastener when I put in the new radiator but I guess I could also securely wire tie the cooler to the framework too.
any thoughts? Chris
Do you mean the "tangs" on the radiator have cracked? The little bracket doohickies that the fasteners attach to?

my
like
other
that
why not do it right and fabricate some brackets to hold it away from the radiator and AC condenser ?

my
like
other
that
No, the plastic side of the radiator just below the top hose nipple has cracked. Gary, I did not think about a bracket but that wouldn't much of a problem. I just figured that the plastic mounting hardware was what was commonly used since it came with the cooler kit. Haven't had much experience with this stuff before.
Chris

on
the
the
I say that because it makes NO sense to clamp a 'cooler' to an AC condenser that can hit 300 degrees on a hot day

of

tanks
the
kit
in
the Hayden coolers come with 4 metal straps about 1-1/4 by 8, nuts bolts, tapping screws, lock washers, all you need

sort

on
cooler
put
cooler
I'll have to agree with Gary on this one. I installed a new Hayes cooler and I fabricated brackets to hang it between the grill and radiator (right next to the condensor). The air flow is better and I really didn't see any advantages in having it touching (or almost touching) a hot radiator or condensor.
****************************************** I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. ~ Thomas Jefferson ~

that
Aluminim bars or straps work well, something in the range of a sixteenth thick, by three eighths or a half inch wide. Easy to bend, cut and drill, but substantial enough for the purpose. Available at hardware stores, hobby shops, etc.
just adding my experience..
I found the supplied brackets a little weak
go by lowes and get some of the flat metal stock they have near the screws and bolts area. its about 1 1/4 wide by maybe an 1/8 thick by 4 feet long.. Cut to length use a vise and hammer to shape bracket to fit your vehicle and drill some holes in the appropriate area.
I used this to mount on my 92 k1500. take a little time but once there the cooler is fixed.

Elbert Clarke
elbert.clarke**@us.army.mil

my
like
other
that
Chris,
Jegs (www.jegs.com) and Summitt (www.summitracing.com) both have them.
Doc

Cool, I'll have to check them out. Need to go get the new radiator first.
thanks, Chris

on
the
the
Chris looks like you have plenty of good advice. To answer your direct question, I've seen the fasteners sold as a kit at Pep Boys. I've used them mainly to attach the cooler to a bracket rather than to the radiator or a/c condensor. Home Depot has some strap material, generally found in the plumbing area. It's about 1/2"-5/8" wide and holes every inch or so. Comes in 18"-24" lengths. Probably around 20 ga. thick. Don't recall the name. This is not the stuff that comes in a roll. Makes good material for making mounting brackets.

my
like
other
that
Question about aftermarket cooling fasteners Group: alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks Date: Sat, Sep 20, 2003, 5:21pm (CDT+5) From: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (Chris) Hi everyone, I just installed a transmission cooler a few weeks back. Now the tanks on my radiator have cracked. My question is: Does anyone know of anywhere you can buy the fasteners that are sort of like a zip tie? They push thru the radiator core and then you slide on a keeper on the other side. I have not seen these anywhere else but in the tranny cooler kit that I bought. I would like to use the same type of fastener when I put in the new radiator but I guess I could also securely wire tie the cooler to the framework too. any thoughts?
Chris .................
Chris, You can use long tie-straps from any auto parts or hardware store, combined with "fender" washers to secure it.
Cut the "locking end" off one tire strap to make
Install a "fender washer" on one of the long tie straps....
Run it through the condenser and the radiator...
Install another "fender washer" on the protruding end.....
Install the "locking end" that you cut off the other tie strap to secure it.
Buy some rubber grommets to install between the washers and the core facings for added clearance.
.. Better Suggestion? Do what Gary said.....
buy some 1/2" x 6" metal hardware straps at a hardware store and mount it like Gary suggested........optimum cooling. The straps are pre-drilled with holes.
hope we helped, Scrib Abell
utilized for it's intended purpose, the following is a vengfull tool.............
the easiest way to get a job done..................is to get the shop braggart to "show" you how to do it..................and look astonished when he's through...............