Question RE: 93 Z71

Ok... I recently had lost the 4x4 in the truck and put in the new electronic actuator and harness. When I put it in 4wd it goes in like a dream, when I
take it out of 4wd it sometimes comes out. What I mean is, I will put it in 4wd and giver quite a bit of throttle to make sure it is in (in snow you can obviously tell). Then, I put the 4wd shifter in to 2wd, and do the same by giving her some throttle. I can still feel the fronts spinning. I would stop, put the truck in park and then drive and it would feel like 2wd again. How can this be 'cause when I put it in to 2wd from 4wd am I not "mechanically" disengaging the transfer case?? I had thought before it was because of the gas actuator, but now I have to give my head a shake 'cause that cant be...can it? Cause like I said...I am mechanically disengaging, and the actuator is just locking the front up!!! What is happening?? Sorry for the long winded but I am confused.
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmm" ? One nice thing about the new trucks and the electronic controls............... Hello, may i speak to the parts department please.!
--
Mad Dog

"kurt" <gess snipped-for-privacy@msn.com> wrote in message

good deal.... the 98+ actuator is 100x etter than the old one.
When I put it in 4wd it goes in like a dream, when I

why do you do this? if the 4X4 light lights up, the front axle *IS* engaged (it's a separate CAD position sensing switch... i.e. it won't light until the axle is fully engaged.)
Then, I put the 4wd shifter in to 2wd, and do the same by

are the tires actually spinning or are you just feeling the front driveshaft spinning from being driven by the front axle?
I would

if you pull the lever back to 2wd, the front shaft is mechanically decoupled from engine power unless there is a very serious malfunction in the xfer case.
I had thought before it was

best I can tell from your description is the following: as the axle wears, the CAD splines can bind enough on each other to keep the front end engaged (with the actuator disengaged) while the axle is under load (i.e. moving down the road). when you stop, the load is removed from the splines and the spring in the front diff pushes out the plunger, letting the axle disengage. don't worry about it, it's normal and it's not hurting anything.
HTH, Bret
anyone ... doc?

if you don't 'unload' (put some slack into) the front drive-train it won't disengage

I did unload it..put it in park. let the brakes off and then drive again...

"kurt" wrote

That doesn't always "unload" it enough. If you are having any problems with the front axle dis-engaging, sometimes you have to put it in reverse in order to unload it. Or, it's always possible that you have either more wear on the front tires then rear, or vice versa...or one of your tires is low? Any of these problems can cause the front axle to be difficult to dis-engage.
Ian